What would you charge to pick up toys?? Surcharge.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sildoc, Apr 27, 2005.

1. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I currently (say that because I am thinking of dropping her) mow a day care. Initially I agreed to mow for 30 a time( takes me 20 min when toys are picked up), contingent on her picking up her toys before I mow. Well for the second time she has not had her toys picked up. I spent 10 minutes picking up all of the toys.
    My question is what kind of surcharge or charge would you charge.

I am waiting for bobby g to chime in on this one.

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

$1 per minute.

So she gets a $10 surcharge. Doesn't pay it then gets dropped.

My game, my rules.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I would probably charge $10 to $15 since it takes one third of the time to pick them up. If she doesnt like that, she will make the decision for u and youll be done with her. If she understand why u charge for picking them up she will either pay u or pick them up her self

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what Im thinking. I don't want to pick up toys however I dont want to drop her. I have 4 on the block and with fuel being the price it is it is nice not to have to drive far.

5. IMoLwnz.com

IMoLwnz.com LawnSite Member

sometimes you just have to suck it up... Its called customer service.

At least that Is what I am about. although I DO know what you mean and that should have been in the price or talked about. If its a problem then maybe you both need to set up a plan or talk about the price going up.

6. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

I'd go with Precision's dollar a min. figure.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I just mow right over the toys at no extra charge. :realmad: If I'm feeling nice I wont run them over, I just mow around them. By next week the kids will have played with everything again so you can get the spots you missed the week before. Seriously though, if it's that bad, and she won't cooperate, tack on an extra $10.

8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

call her ahead of time and they will be picked up to avoid surcharge. not all people are azzholes but give them a chance to pick them up. cell phone is a valuable tool in this biz . same deal goes for dog stuff. If they know you are on the way most will clean up. don't assume they can read your mind when you expect to show up.

9. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

I would talk to her first and let her know how much extra time it takes to mow when you have to pick up all the crap in the yard. Let her know what day you will be there and tell her you have no choice but to charge extra if everything is not picked up when you get there.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I had this situation one time. A homeowner's daughter with kids moved back into the house. I spoke with the homeowner and even included a note with the bill explaining that there would be a 10 charge for picking up toys. They paid the ten bucks each time.