What would you charge??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Connie, Mar 23, 2001.

1. Connie

Connie LawnSite Member

I just got a call from an elderly lady for a mowing estimate. I took a look at it and its huge. She lives in the country. It about 2.12 acres. About an acre is wide open then the house and a fenced in area which I'll be able to get my rider through so thats not a problem, is on the other acre. Take about 1/2- 45 min to trim and 10 to blow.
    What would you charge? I've got emark lazor z 48" and a exmark 48" walk behind.

Also have to bid on a restaurant... 10,000 sf of grass, take about 25min to trim and the same to blow.

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Your price is dictated by the market that you are surrounded in along with your overhead, etc.

We charge as much as the market will bear. Your question can not be answered with a dollar figure.

Your profile says you've been in business for 3 years. You should know how to estimate a property according to your clients needs by now. Only you can determine how much profit you need to be making.

3. 1st impressions

1st impressions LawnSite Member

Connie

I try to give a break to the senior citizens when it comes to mowing. I would charge $40 an acre. I would think
    you could get the job done in 45 minutes with both machines
    running. The previous reply had it right. Only you can decide what a fair profit is.

The cut should be easy since fertilization won't be a
    factor. If they want to be cut every 2 weeks, charge for it.

Good luck!

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

Unless I miss my guess ,this lady is able to pay
    well for the right service.Can be a real money makr
    if you can make her place the way she wants it.

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

AWM: Quote: Unless I miss my guess ,this lady is able to pay well for the right service.Can be a real money makr
    if you can make her place the way she wants it.

Just because this lady lives in the country on 2 acres, doesn't mean she is stashing silver and gold bars in her cellar and attic.

6. Connie

Connie LawnSite Member

the reason I was asking is because I feel I sometimes under bid big lawns so I just wanted to see what you guys thought. I haven't had one that big yet. The going rate here is around 50.00/hr for the bigger companies