What would you charge????

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Tastroh, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Tastroh

Tastroh LawnSite Member

What would you all charge for this situation?...Customer has a 375 sqft irregular patterned slate patio (they are not flags, more like tile thickness). The mortar is cracking like crazy so the slate comes up with very little effort. Customer wants to use the existing slate. So how much would you charge to pull up the slate, scrape off the old mortar, clean the concreate pad, and then relay the slate with fresh mortar. I was estimating $3,500...

2. Tastroh

Tastroh LawnSite Member

anybody????????

3. PlatinumLandCon

PlatinumLandCon LawnSite Bronze Member

There are a few time variables here. How easy would it be to remove the mortar from the pad? How quick are you at laying tile?

Since this is 99% labor its really hard for us to give you any kind of accurate estimate. Basically estimate the # of hours it will take and multiply by required hourly earnings. Does the homeowner have a budget in mind? If they think you can come in and be done by lunchtime then you'll give them sticker shock.

P.S. 3 hours is a little quick to be jumping all over us for not replying.

4. Tastroh

Tastroh LawnSite Member

this mortar is easy to scrape up.

5. Tastroh

Tastroh LawnSite Member

anybody elde?

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

How does about $8G's sound. Time involved you're building a new patio but I have no pictures, no convo with the customer for a budget etc etc.

Tile thin? Well, if you are lifting it all you will most likely break a lot of it.........just a heads up.

7. Tastroh

Tastroh LawnSite Member

is took a few pieces up and they were fine. underneath is a concrete pad that is fine.

8. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Can you get more of the same material? Inform the customer of the possibility of damage.

DO NOT warranty the work. I never warranty something that is not 100% my work. That is not my pad under it and I don't know how things were built.........warranty on repairs will come back to bite you in the arse.

9. Tastroh

Tastroh LawnSite Member

they know the situation and they do have a small bit of slate left over from a while ago. and they do realize they might have to buy more. do you still think 8K???