What would you charge ?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by 1wezil, Apr 2, 2008.

1. 1wezil

1wezil LawnSite Senior Member
    from tn

I gave a possible new customer a price on a mulch job that will take 230yds of mulch . i told him 45.00 a yard including mulch and labor all i needed to do is clean up the bed edges and install the mulch .so far no answer his wife thought i was to high she said we never spent that much before. what do you guys think ? if i can land the mulch job i can also maybe take the mowing job away from the current person. he is paying 100.00 per mowing now . this house is in a large gated community and the house is worth about 4 or 5 million or maybe more ,the more money they have the harder they are to give it up.

2. TurfCo  LLC

TurfCo LLC LawnSite Member

230 cubic yards is a lot of mulch... and by my count, your price is in line with mine (maybe a little cheaper) assuming you pay $25ish per yard for the mulch

3. 1wezil

from tn

my cost is between 17.00 to 20.00 for the mulch

4. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Man thats a lot of mulch...ought to keep you busy for awhile.

5. 1wezil

from tn

i was planning on 6 people 3 days and a skid-steer can be used on 2/3's of the property from the sides and wheel barrows for the center of it around the pool area.

6. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

I charge double the price of mulch. Last batch was $24/ yard. I charge $48/ yard. There is a company that will blow the mulch for $40/ yard (mulch included). On anything larger than 30 yards I use them. I'd get a slight price break (maybe $2-3/ yard) for that much.

For the 230 yards I would DEFINITELY use them. Charge to the customer would be $11,040, cost for mulch and blowing (at $40/yard) $9200. PURE profit: $1840.

I would go this route and make nearly $2k and never touch the stuff and be off making money at another job.

7. prland1

prland1 LawnSite Member

I was wondering if your charging $48 per cu/yd is including labor? Up here the cheapest Premium Hardwood Mulch is $30 per cu/yd. Great idea though on bringing in a company that can blow it all in. That saves you a ton of time.

8. 1wezil

from tn

Now the homeowner tells me they talked to the person that did it last year and it only took 140 yds, and that covered it well so i told them if we run short then you agree to buy more at the same price . oh ya last year they only payed 30 a yd installed but that guy is not installing mulch any more . well at that price i see why .this year they want to go with the black pallet mulch ,at 40 a yd mulch and labor is a good deal .i gave them the total and now i am waiting for them to get back to me. i am sure they are checking around on pricing. they were in a hurry but i am sitting and waiting for them .

9. prland1

prland1 LawnSite Member

I must be real expensive or somebody is giving the mulch away. 40 per cu/yd including labor of 6 guy's over 3 days does that give you a profit at all? Fuel, Mileage, labor costs or Delivery of the mulch which is sometimes cheaper the bigger the load. I try to factor that all in then figure a fair price. It's so amazing how cheap some potential clients can be. That's how the rich get richer, but that's for another forum.

10. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

YEA it is!!! Unless you're paying your help 0.12/hr, your skid steer had no moving parts and runs on solar power, and Jesus is delivering the mulch for you, you might not make much money here. :dizzy: