what would you charge?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Agape, May 7, 2011.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

so this guy calls and says "I have a rather large lawn that should have been mowed about 10 days ago"

I get there and the grass is average shin high to waist high in a couple areas and it's big (thay bought the lot behind them to make a gigantic lawn- I mean it's enormous). the front is small but nasty.

pics don't show the massive size well and on camera phone

overgrown.jpg

overgrown 2.jpg

2. KINGMADE

KINGMADE LawnSite Member

aha at the 10 days ago. 1 month plus. Depends on if they are going to be a regular customer but I still would not give them that much of a break on price. Looks like a monster pita. Do they want you to bag it? also what equipment would you use?

3. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't fall for the "Good price for future work" trick.

4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I did a lawn right next to one of my regulars. The woman hadn't had the grass cut yet this year. She knew I was coming by to do my regular. When I got there I wasn't on the trimmer 2 minutes and she stopped me. I gave her a price that equaled out to almost $100hr and she jumped all over it. She is now a weekly customer right next door to my other. :) I should have gotten pics. It was a lot taller then what the OP posted.

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

I never end up charging enough for these deals. Well, almost never. I did one a couple of years ago, quoting a price of $225 because I didn't really want to do it at all, but only charged $200 because it didn't really take me as long as I thought.

We should get 3-4 times what a normal mow would be, because the customer is getting a month's mowing at once. Realistically, twice the cost of a regular mowing is probably ballpark.

6. Agape

well, I never fall for that crap of "do this super cheap, and I'll give you a ton of super cheap stuff" lol
    As for equipment used; I got a brand new worker and he(his wife) was worried that he wouldnt get hours so he was gonna go to his old job if I couldn't guarantee a certain amount of hours (awsome worker, so i wanted to keep him) so I dropped him off with a honda homeowners that I use as a back-up mower, (old aluminum deck). I have a brand new honda commercial, but $1200 vs.$120 in grass that could have anything in it.

and gave him 2 buckets and a string trimmer for the fence (here's your hours) and went to see my accountant and have a cup of coffee and I have a guy who works at home who wants me there between "such and such" a time so i went to do that.

I got back a couple hours later and helped him finish for an hour.

I wanted to charge a min. of $200 but I also wanted the job so I bid and got it for $170 mow only and bag/haul figuring as long as it took my guy less than 15 hours I was in the black lol

7. Agape

I always charge as if i'm using a crapsman mower.
    If they don't like the price they can get their own $1200 mower.

8. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

Nice!! I love it.

9. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

how many hrs did it take him to mow it and hauled the grass off

10. Agape

I think I dropped him off at about 8:45 and I came back and helped him finish for about an hour, half of which was tossing the big pile in the truck i had him make 'cause I took the truck. and we left at 11:40 so just over the 4 man hours I thought it would take, and I produced half a load of grass in my 7x8x3 dump box, I finished off the route day with a mostly full and took my empty truck for fridays route with a bunch of buckets and threw them in at the end of friday and dumped for $20.

He wanted hours and I gave him 12 on thursday (lol). he said the next day "If we get off at regular time today, is ok" he was sore and tired.