What would you charge???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bad_chad48, Sep 4, 2003.

1. bad_chad48

bad_chad48 LawnSite Member

This is the scoop. I have been contacted by a larger construction co. and they have built a subdivision but have their men and equip tied up in another job out of state. Like I said... a large construction co. Anyways, they contacted me to install the lawns in this sub. it consists of 10 homes that need to be finish graded, seeded, strawed and fert. All together, it is about 13 acres. Here is the catch. they will be providing all the materials. ie seed, fert, straw, and erosion controle sheets. I usually charge $45 per k, supplying all the above BUT it has never been this much finish grading. They will be rough grading with a dozer. But I will have to pick out all of the rocks and what ever the dozer brings to the top.
    So, what would you charge to finish grade and install a these lawn using your equip, your labor? per k?

They need a quote asap
    Thanks
    chad

2. bad_chad48

Like I said, I usually charge 45 per k but these lawns will require more time to prep. When I subtracted all the material from my $45, I do not think that I will be making much money. I want to be fair to myself and them.

3. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Being that 13 acres=566280sq.ft and you usually make $45/K; that would be a heafty price tag of $25,479. My question to you is, "Have you projected the time it will take you?" Do you have the equipment to do it, or are you going to have to rent? Is there any hills, irrigation ditches, or other abnormalities in the landscape design?

As far as the price above, there is companies in this area that would easily get that amount. Keep in mind that those companies are well established and can knock out a job like that in no time.

I noticed you too are from Kentucky. Where are you located?

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Thats the same as before. You now see that when you subtract your cost you were never making much doing the seeding work.

Anyway, back to the original question...Do you have a tractor and know how to grade? What is the sf per lawn at each house? How much time do you estimate after the grading it will take to do the work?

13 acres X 43,560=566,280 sf.

5. bad_chad48

Up to this point, I have always had to rent my equip but If I do get these jobs, I will be buying all of it. Each of these lots it distinctly different, All have existing trees But not alot. 5 of the 10 have steep hills behind the houses. On them, I will be using the erosion sheets to hold everything up. All ditches will be lined with the same sheets. They come in rolls of 8' by 150' (will take the place of straw) where used.
    lot 1: 48308.71 sq ft
    2: 31538.16
    3: 47742.48
    4: 51880.68
    5: 61855.92
    6: 59895.72
    7: 48352.32
    8: 65879.88
    9: 57456.36
    10: 75272.40

Everthing will need to be graded. I will be using a tractor with grader box. If nessessary, I will rent a harley rake. depends on ammount of rock.

As for time? I can not really be sure because the lots have not been rough graded yet. They will be bringing in topsoil and spreading with dozers. But I can not tell you how long. They said that the guys doing the dozer work get it pretty much seed-able. But, that is all that I have to go off from.

6. bad_chad48

$45 is the competative rate for this area. Light ammount of finish grading, then installing lawn. That is with me purchasing all materials.
    But like I said, they will be supplying all needed materials.
    If you was to give this estimate on the information given, what would you charge?

7. bad_chad48

I am about 60 miles south of louisville. Grayson Co.

8. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

When you're talking large volumes of materials, like what it will take to do 13 acres, dealers usually give huge discounts. What you need to keep in mind is the labor and profit margin. Without seeing the sight I believe you should still be able to pull $30/K and still be competitive. This would still give you a bid of $16,988. You may even want to bit it at $18,200 to compensate for a margin of error.

I've worked with a couple of guys that specialize in large volume landscaping jobs. With a little time I could also get their input for you and what each of them would bid the job for. At least that way you would have a little more insight as to how the larger landscaping contractors are going to go with it. How much time do you have before you need to submit the bid?

9. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

Hey bad chad, email me sometime. I am 1 county away in ohio county.

10. bad_chad48

Actually, I was planning on a bid of $37 per k. But, I wanted to ask for some other input from you guys. That is due to the unknown grading. That just seemed really high to me but, when I worked my numbers that is what I came up with.
    Work-it, I would appreciate any info that you might get for me. I will be turning my bid in this next week.