1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do? 2500 direct mailers ready!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by adaptivehomeservices, Dec 9, 2006.

1. adaptivehomeservices

adaptivehomeservices LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I have 2500 mailers addressed and stamped ready to go. 2007 will be my first "official" year and I am starting with NO accounts. I targeted specific streets in the town I am hoping to work primarily.

The heading on my post card is, "Receive 10% Off Your 2007 Lawn Maintenance"! This is not really a savings as I bumped my rates up 10% to compensate for the discount but I am hoping its a good door opener.

I am debating sending them out on Monday but have Christmas and holiday concerns...also, how many people want to think about their lawn while its 40 degrees out. BUT...I also know people are renewing their contracts with their existing lco's....

My gut tells me to wait til the first or second week in January to send them out....

What do you all think would be more successful....now or after January 1st?
  2. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

I would wait until after the holidays. I dont know when your season starts. I'm in the Southeast and our season doesnt start back until March. So I wouldnt do a mail out until mid Feb. I did a mailer years ago and only got like 2 calls, good luck with that.
  3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I am going to say this. Offering a 10% discount and bumping your prices up is pretty unethical. You are lying to people to try and get their business. When they find out, you will hear about it.
  4. adaptivehomeservices

from Midwest

Its my first year in business with my pricing....If I bump them now with NO customers then is it actually a bump...no.

I said that to avoid the lowball and discount of services onslaught. Our pricing gets bumped up and down depending on so many factors. Lots of people figure their marketing discounts in their bids. If I was a big retail chain then I would agree with you. But I am not.
  5. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

When does your mowing season start? How about the spring cleanups? I'd wait till the holidays are over and people have time to recover from them. If I were you I'd send them out 2 weeks before you plan on doing cleanups. I would also put an add in the local paper/papers. I dont know what streets your planing on mailing them to, but from my experience if your sending them to nice developments or culdesacs then chances are everyone else out there trying to get accounts is sending them to the same places you are. Then let the lowballing begin! These streets bring out all the cheapos. They get so many of the 10% off or lawns starting at $25 that they think comercial mowing is not worth more than the cost of fuel and your labor. Good luck. I run an 8 week add in the local paper in mid march till first week of may
  6. Grass-Masters

Grass-Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I am interested in the responce you get from them. Keep us posted.
  7. adaptivehomeservices

from Midwest

Thanks for all your input so far. Keep your thoughts comin!

I plan to do this mailing and then send another to the same people in February. I also plan on running an ad from the end of January to March pending how many new customers I have. I am hoping this will be enough to launch into the summer. I am looking for a max of 60 customers this year. Most should be 1/8-1/4 stops...around 30 minutes per stop.
  8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, you've printed them already, but I'd tell you to lose the 10% discount.

You will attract a lot of "price shoppers" that way. And if you've already artificially inflated your price so that they come down to the normal "industry standard" after the discount, then you really aren't giving much of an incentive to the customer, who is, like I had said, price shopping in the first place.

Sell your service, perform good work, and you will not need to offer discounts to get service.

End of that rant, and I'd wait until after Christmas to send them out. And I'm not going to try and rain on your parade, but you will most likely need to hit a lot more than 2500 homes to get 60 customers.
  9. adaptivehomeservices

from Midwest

I never said I was only putting out 2500 to get 60 accounts. This is just my first mailing, atleast one other by February and then two ads in local papers until my 60 accounts are reached.

I wanted to put something on my ad that suggested a good reason to call me...once I get the phone to ring then I can sell my service. But I have to get the phone to ring.

I have asked before, if you can't offer a price incentive to call a new business then why would the average person call? Would you respond to a solicitation if all they said was "great service"?
  10. BBN

BBN LawnSite Member

Just a side question for you guys here. The first mowing here in Southern Illinois begin somewhere from March 15-22. If I sent out advertisments in mid-February is that early enough? Should I instead shoot for early Feb? Thanks