what would you do about a screwed price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Oct 8, 2008.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I got a new customer that has 2 lots. One lot has the house the other is all palmettos, that need hacking back twice a year.

I gave a price to clean the palmettos but the dang lady said $450 was too much, said her last guy did it for $250:dizzy: You don't understand how much crap needs cleaning out. even my price seems low to me.

It needs to be done and I tried to get her to understand I'm working by myself and don't have a crew of mexicans, but she didn't budge on the price. I don't wan't her to get another company to do it because she wants one LCO to do everything.

I can't lose this new customer because its in a location with a lot of potential, I guess I just bust my azz for $250:cry: and get it done?

2. Big Wes

Big Wes LawnSite Member

Never cave in.

Stick to your price, or walk away.

If there is potential work in the area you should be able to get your foot in the door through some other property.

3. South Florida Lawns

from usa

I meant gated community, and if I lost this customer I couldn't get back in. Gate doesn't have a code you gotta call the house to get in.

4. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

Everytime I give a price, they say the last guy did it cheaper. If the last guy was so cheap, why do they ask me in the first place? What happened to the last guy?

5. South Florida Lawns

from usa

6. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

don't give in, thats ALOT of work. stick to your price. If she gets some one else just remember theres others. If you undercut yourself in an area then they will tell everyone and you will never get a fair price in that neighborhood.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, shocking.

Hey guys, I wonder...
    If when they do that, you know, that last guy did it for $x thing...
    If we stand there looking like a deer in the headlights :p

There that is the right answer, why did they call you or me
    if they already got someone who will do it for less?

That's funny.
    And you might not have meant it to be, but I still think it is.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  8. underPSI

underPSI LawnSite Member

You will lose your butt on every job if you do one job cheap.

9. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I have a large hedge job that I do for a customer every year. Its a $250 that takes 5 hours and theres a lot of ladder work and extended hedge trimmers involved. One year she found a friends' daughter that said she would do it for $100. I said go ahead and let her do it. It took the girl 1.5 days to complete the job. I got the hedge job back after her fiasco. That was 5 years ago.

10. South Florida Lawns

from usa

No he really did retire, thats how I got the yard. She had the same guy for 10 years or so. Guy did really great work.

I had a feeling she was just saying $250 to get me to come down in price. I'll wait till she asks again then i'll say I can't go lower than $400.

You guys should see the lot, its a TON of work for one person. Probably take me a full day with the saw and hauling the debris out.

So I guess I'm just gonna wait till she says "hey the palmettos need trimming" and i'll tell her the lowest I can go is $400. I'll get some pictures so you can tell me what you think.