What would you do about this?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Sep 29, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I present another problem with my next door neighbor's yard. By the way, her yard is approx. 1/3 of an acre. Her yard is pretty good in some spots and in others it is terrible. The front is half perfect lush green grass, and the other half is almost dead due to grubs, that i will take care of. Anyway, my main area of concern is a very large portion of her backyard all the way in the back. Maybe 6 years ago there used to be a garden there full of different things, well now it is completely dead and is all weeds. there are no dandelions but some kind of weeds i can't describe. anyway, i mean it isn't grenn at all. the stripes don't show up one bit. Anyway, i was thinking of thatching, aerating, applying some weed killer, and then reseeding. Would this work. this area is about 55' by 85' and in complete sunshine all day. Suggestions for this situation would be great.
  2. If it was me I would not ever be worried about it, much less metinon it, just run over it with the mower and collect your money.
  3. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I would roundup it, Aerate the **** out of it, and the reseed it. Wait about 2 days to aerate and seed after you spray it out. I have always gotten good results doin it this way.
  4. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

Mmmm, I'm wondering i'f all is said and done if you lawn strip will be flush with the other lawn. Start off with killing the weeds. Use momentum, it's an excellent pre and post herbicide, you can pick it up at lesco. then, I'd dethatch after a day or two, do a soil sample to check the ph of the soil, i'f all is well, put down 1 to 2 inch's of topsoil. put seed down & sift new soil over. the momentum workes for 2 months which gives your new seed time for growth. Hope this info helps ya out. I'f ya need any more info, you can reach me at by business number (801)836-5112 or e-mail:

Richard Coffman/owner
    Special Touch Land Care