What Would You Do / Handle This

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HBLandscaping, Mar 19, 2008.

1. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have a post under Commercial Lawn Mowing called " Here' your Sign"

The first part of my story is pretty funny, But the second half is were I'd like some advise from you guys. I'm beside myself and lost as to how to handle this problem. Any help you can give me would be a help. Here is a link to my other post.

This is a real serious problem guys, I've spent over $3,000 so far this season on advertising / advertisments and who knows how much of that I'll lose because of this.....

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=221338

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Like I said in your other thread. Let your attourney handle it. Most likely you will end up sueing this company and your attourney will know what to do. Don't go off half cocked on this guy and say something that may hurt you later. Let your attounrney do the talking.

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

You could call them and CALMLY talk to the owner and tell what the deal is. Also, mention the word attorney and if he doesn't back down I would definitely get an attorney. Good Luck.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

Maybe it is some kind of copyright infringement... personally I would be in contact with a lawyer before and make him aware of the situation. He could probably offer up some advice on what to do. Talk to him before you talk to the business...jmo

5. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

Its only copyright infringement if his logo is copyrighted.

Youre going to find there is nothing you can do.

Even changing the punctuation in a company name makes it a total different name.

If you are

Serv-Pro Lawn Care

Someone else can open

ServPro Lawn Care

Hell there are about 20 registered pro-cuts in my state alone.

6. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Jeez....that sucks, Back in the day I woulda' had him meet me at some fake address for an estimate around sunset and beat the snot outa' him, and shoved a flyer in his mouth. But I'm older now and have learned to control myself. Make sure your company name is registered heck you can register any variations on your name as well. Never talk to the guy it could lead to violence, have the attorney submit your cease and desist letter.Tell him you also want that phone number if you think he's getting calls on it. He probably doesn't have any money so suing him will just cost you money unless your attorney will take it on a contingency basis.

7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't know what your legal options are in state, but, I would do some damage control really fast. Send a letter to each client that you have. Explain to them that there is someone operating another company ( at least for the moment ) named HB Landscaping. Make sure that you put all of your contact info in this letter. At least that way your customers will know for sure who they are dealing with. I had this happen to me in my area last year. I had my attorney send him a cease and desist letter. The guy changed his name. He didn't last long.....didn't make it through the summer.