1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would you do here

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by RSK2, Sep 9, 2006.

1. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

hi guys
    i have a ??? for you. I am going to put in a french drain around a house at this one landscaping job i got i have the drain and some landscaping to do.
    this is what is up with this job i go to the house to meet her to get a check
    for $ 4,000 for the down payment to start working at this job. the job is $ 8,300 for everything she gives me a check for $ 1,000 and she said she will give me the other $ 3,000 on Monday but she wants me to start the job on Monday. i have a contract with here that said she will give me $ 4,000 on the 9th of this month but it was $ 1,000. what would you do here with this job? do you think she is trying to ripe me off the money for this job we have on the contract that she would give me the $4,000 today but she did not do that any info with this thanks :dizzy:
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

If you're feeling quesy, call her tommorrow and tell her you'll need the balance of the deposit on Monday morning, be brief but clear. Also find out what time she leaves for work in the morning since you have a question(wink wink). If she hands you the check, start the job, if she feeds you more BS on Monday tell her how it is. I have been burned a couple times so nothing moves off the truck or trailer until the deposit is in hand. Wishing I had more faith in people it is possible she had to transfer funds or wait for something to clear before giving you the balance. Who knows.........
  3. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

she may have been screwed before, but it is not a good sign that she signed a contract and is already making her own terms. She agreed to your terms when she signed the contract. I would refund her $1000.00 less whatever is non-refundable in your contract and walk away if you are wary.

Even if your contract states that the money is non-refundable don't keep the whole $1000. Cover your time and effort already committed though.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

BINGO---then you have nothing out and you can talk to her about another contract with the 4,000 down.
  5. sunray

sunray LawnSite Member

I had a customer do this but I got 25% of the down payment at signing and the other 25% when we started.
    I started to get upset but then I thoughtwhat difference does it make.
    He was happy andI still got the 50% down before we started.
    The man is a retired school principal from New Jersey and had only lived here for two months.