What would you do? Hydro WB vs. Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mjninc1, Jul 15, 2004.

?

Which would give you the most production/quality?

1. Hustler Hydro WB 25/54

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  2. Wright Stander 23/52

27 vote(s)
    58.7%
  1. mjninc1

mjninc1 LawnSite Member

Hello, thanks for viewing! Situation:
    Looking for most productive/ best quality and would like your thoughts.

I can get a
    Hustler Hydro 25/54 for $5600 + Proslide $250(est) =$5850 or a
    Wright Stander 23/52 for $6100.

What would you do if it was between these two and why? I am starting out and am going to wait on the Z untill next year or year after that.

Thanks!

God Bless.

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I have a 60" bobcat w/b, with velke but I recently demoed a J.D. stander.

I'm sticking with the w/b for now, only because I don't want to spend the money. Money not being a factor, I"d have the stander right now. However, I did find the stander to be very versatile. Almost as good a w/b in small areas, and a lot better for wide open areas. Hung a slope really well too.

That said, I don't have a lot of mowing experience, so take my opinion for what it's worth -- not a lot!:D

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

If you go with the walk you will be able to get under bushes and small trees and do steep hills and go and do the wide open areas.
    John

The standers i found to only be good in very tight areas.

4. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

The hustler also is a floating deck.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

You could get a J.D. stander for that money, which is a floating deck as well.

I thought the stander rivaled a ZTR in open areas:confused:

6. mjninc1

mjninc1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. The comporable JD is $6800 at the cheapest dealer in my area.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The stander is the only way to go. My next one is going to be a 52" 23hp kawi. I have two now and love them. The stander with its compactiness will out perform the hydro walk behind. They can keep up with a ZTR in open areas. I mow mostly 2.5 to 3 acres properties with mine. I still win in the end, since I have less trimming to do with its rounded deck and control system.

8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm from Roswell, worked there for 12 years, so in Marietta, you're likely to be mowing Bermuda and Tall Fescue. Bermuda you may be mowing at 2" or 2.5". Tall Fescue at 3" to 3.5" or more in the summer. You'd be changing that fixed deck several times a day most likely. And the range of cut w/o tools is maybe 1", so you might not even be able to handle all situations at some times of the year with a fixed deck mower.

Will you be mulching , discharging, or bagging? If you're set up to discharge much of the time you'll need to bag most Bermuda lawns. If you have a mulch kit on you can handle most Bermuda well w/o bagging, but you may not be optimally efficient on wider areas of Tall Fescue, where discharging is acceptable and faster. The ideal setup is two mowers, one setup to mulch the Bermuda and tight spots of Fescue, the other set up to discharge on wide areas and Fescue.

Where it works in terms of cut height, the stander will probably be easier to use and quicker in turns. But if you're having to mow some grass higher than you want and other stuff lower than is desired, it's not going to be a good situation if your customers aren't happy about it.

That Hustler super wb is a lot of machine, too. I'd give it the edge just for the floating deck advantage in the Atlanta area with its two very different types of turf to mow.

For the price range of these mowers, you can get into a lower end ZTR (48/44") depending on brand and where you buy. I've seen pretty poweful gravely ZTR's new on Ebay around the $6,000 range. Night and day difference to me in terms of fatigue vs. anything you stand on. Also, the instant up/down cut height adjustment of a ZTR is hard to beat and will improve your cut quality in some cases since you can feather the height over berms and hill crests and such.

One suggestion would be to stretch the budget a little and get a ZTR as your primary mower, then pick up a cheap used belt drive wb for times when a ZTR just won't do. Or use a ZTR and a 21" for postage stamps and hills and just turn away any lawns where they're not sufficient to do the job.

But everyone has different opinions. I only mow to top standards, no "making do". Others out there I've seen seem perfectly content to leave lawns looking ways I'd be ashamed of.

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd go with a stand-up rider of some type. I don't regret getting one as it seems to work great just about everywhere, small yard's to wide open spaces. I've used everything from belt WB's To 60" ZTR's and for ME the Surfer fatigues me the least and is the most productive. It also doesn't take up much room in my trailer. But to each his own, you've gotta make the decision that fit's YOUR needs the best.. Demo extensively on your properties...

10. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Before I Bought my Hustler 25/54 I also checked out the Wright stander. I really liked how compact the Stander is. It is very nice in tight landscaped areas; this is one of the Hustler’s weak points. The length of the walk-behind is great when mowing rough ground but can take more time in the tight areas. The Stander is great in tight areas but is lacking on the rough ground compared to the SWB. I don’t remember the speed of the stander but I think it was 11mph. The Hustler SWB advertises 8 mph but I would bet mine runs a little faster. That really has no effect because I have not been able to mow at full speed because of the rough grounds that I mow. I liked the stander because it would be easier modifying so I could actually use a pull-behind grass catcher for the fall leaf clean up.
    With the Hustler you get the H-bar, which is more comfortable and easier to use. You get a floating deck, the ability to reach under bushes and fences better. It will handle hills better because you can step off and walk behind when it gets to steep. You would have the best customer service period! Hustler will answer any question you have right here on this site!!
    I might have gone with the Wright if they had a floating deck. (Which is a must for me) but the ability to reach under the bushes and fences has saved me a ton of time. After having the SWB for about a year I am very pleased that I went with it.
    Demo both units and check out the dealers thoroughly! I have not had one problem what so ever out of my SWB. But if I did I know my dealer would be there! Trust me that will mean a lot.
    Jeff