What would you do if you were me?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clemsonfan69, Dec 6, 2004.

1. clemsonfan69

clemsonfan69 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

My lawn business is almost ready to up and go and Ill be aiming for (and getting) accounts in February. In an earlier post I came across a problem = back yards.

My equipment: 1990 Dixon ZTR 42" cut, 21" Push mower and all other accessories. I need something to get into gated backyards, say a 36" walk-behind.

Since Im new and have limited funds, if you were in my shoes, what would you do:

A.)Keep the ZTR for front yards and buy a really cheap walk-behind or bigger push mower for the back yard.

B.)Sell the ZTR and buy a 2003-2004 36" walk-Behind, and use it for front and back yards, until I have enough money later to buy another ZTR.

PS:Im doing mostly residential, no real HUGE open lots.

2. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

I'd sell the ZTR & buy a 36'' walkbehind with a ProSlide. ZTR's are meant for larger areas. Problems occur with gates, mowing under small trees, rutting the yard due to the weight of the mower + you. Besides I don't think that the ZTR would be any faster than a good walkbehind.

3. clemsonfan69

clemsonfan69 LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Really? I assumed the ZTR would be a lot faster. The main advantage I see in a WB is the fact that I would feel I had a little more control.

Proslide...Im guessing something behind it you stand/ride on?

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Clemsonfan the way I do my small back yards(and there are several) Is use my old snapper rear engine rider since it is only 26 wide it goes thru any gate with no problem. I had much rather be sitting than standing but thats just me. I have never used a walk behind (not popular here) so I cant compare them. If you sell your ZTR you will start getting calls for big yards and wished you had it back, just my .02 worth.Good luck in your decision.

5. rockhouse

rockhouse LawnSite Member

My Exmark TTHP 36 goes 6.6 mph. I can actually do that in most yards. I know that your ZTR goes faster than that, but not without tearing up the yard (turning, rutting). I think that the WB is more maneuverable in tight areas such as those found in most residential yards. I think you would have to take more time trimming with a ZTR than a walk behind. As to the riding mower -- they are not very maneuverable at all. Lots of trimming needed with them.

ps the proslide is a self deploying stand on attachment that allows you to ride the WB. In addition it helps smooth the yard since it slides across it.

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, bro. Is the z paid for? Commercial mowers lose 50% of their value as soon as they leave the dealer. Small gates are just part of the buisness. It takes money to make money. Go buy a 36" wb belt drive. They're about $2500 new. Buy at the start of the season and you should be able to handle the expense. Remenmber, having to walk-off the back takes more time, so charge accordingly. Good luck.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

get a wb sell the ztr
  8. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Not knowing how much you have to throw around, get a used Walk behind and add a flex deck and sulky. Flex deck would come off fast get job done faster and you wouldn't have to cut a new deck. Keep ZTR for bigger jobs in the future.jmy.02
  9. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I like Out4nows reply except I would probably get a velke instead of the sulkie. One question I have though is how many gated back yards do you expect to get? When I started four years ago I thought it would be something I needed to address but it really hasn't been. I have had several but not enough to keep a 36" wb ( I had one but sold it.). Right now even though I have a 60 and a 72" Z the mower I like best is a 60" Turf Tracer with a velke. The 60" wb is more productive in most cases, but I will not get rid of the 72.
  10. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

You can get just as much done with a 36" with a Velke as you can with the Dixon, most likely more. It would be a pain to have to play musical mowers all day long - real time waster. I wouldn't use a Proslide with a 36" mower unless you want to become the neighborhood wheelie king.