What would you do in this case?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonnau, Nov 21, 2005.

1. jasonnau

jasonnau LawnSite Senior Member

Here's the low down: Just finished the last cut on one of my high end residential accounts. I trimmed most of it, but not the grass to road edge. I walk down the sidewalk blowing that off, as I'm walking , I blow some of the very little amount of the stuff on the road edge back into the road. I'm serious, it was about 20 little leaves over the course of at least 150' of curb. Again, I didn't trim it, so there wasn't much. As I finish up, and go to put the blower back into the truck, the neighbor from across the street (at least a 20 ft. wide st) while standing on the edge of his driveway says, "why'd you blow those leaves toward my house?" I looked down the street, and I couldn't believe he was serious. I could have picked up all of the leaves I'd blown into the street and held them in one closed hand. I said "those leaves?" "Are you serious?" This guy was completely serious, and standing really stout like he was going to fight with me or something. I said "buddy, honestly, I wasn't really blowing them in any real direction" He said, "I watched you, and it sure looked like you were blowing them this way". And then said" Why didn't you blow them back into their grass". Now, mind you, this guy was talking like he was going to hit me or something. I looked over at his yard, which was mostly cleaned up, but still had some leaves in it anyway. I said " I guess I could have". Now on top of all of this, I may have blown the leaves 2 feet into the street away from my lawn, but, they were still at least 18 feet away from his house, and not even close to being in his lawn, or even on that side of the road. I was going to go blow all the leaves back into the yard, but then another side of me said "F" this guy talking to me like I'm a piece of shiiite. I put my blower back into my truck, drove down to the next cross road, turned the truck around, and drove away right past him. He was on his cell phone calling someone, but I thought to myself, yeah, call the police buddy. That would be funny.

2. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Got the blower back out and continued to blow them into his yard.

I would of just left too, treat me like dirt i'll treat you like dirt. Sounds like you didnt mean to blow them towards his way so F it.

3. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I would have laughed and told him I woud be glad to clean the street up for the minimum service charge of 35.00 payable in cash before I start.

4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I like that! payup

5. gman44

gman44 LawnSite Member

Been in the same spot as you . I loaded up and went on to next job. Its hard enough fighting the wind , idiots are tougher to take . I try to contain as much mess as I can and pick up the stray leaves if nesc. Ive gone out of my way before to clean up a fence line or plantings nearby just so my customers yard looks right . Remember , we are pretty much invisible to people till they have a problem .

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

In the past I would have hesitated to just drive away because I would've thought of him as a potential client, but Ive come to the conclusion that people like this don't think very highly of you to begin with, therfore they would'nt be calling you for service anyway. I had a lady tell me not to blow leaves on her property when clearing the adjecent drive way, b/c it was a "petpeeve" of her husbands. She said she watched me blow them onto thier lawn. This tells me that she made it a point to watch the "black Landscaper while he was working next door". shows that they don't think much of you anyway. Screw people like that.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

you did exactly what all of us would have done. Well, not all of us, Bobbygedd would have send a fruitbasket with a Im Sorry note attached...
    Edited: watch the language. jodi

8. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

First off you said that this was a high end account and you didn't edge the curb. Why ? Second , thats why I don't like doing hi end resi lawns. They all look down on you for doing manual labor. I cant stand people that think they are better than you because you dont live in the right subdivision or drive the right car. I would rather do little bit cheaper yard with the same quality of work and be appreciated for the service. Third, you should of asked him is he 100% positive that the wind hasn't blew any of his leaves into you customers lawn or onto the street? Then leave.

9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would have told the guy, "Sorry, I didn't know that I was blowing them on your property." If he kept at it that is when I give the famous line, "Sorry, I don't have time to stand here and argue about pointless stuff, I have work to do."

I did that famous line to a guy about 5 years ago for snow removal. I said that to him, turned around and walked away from him. I could see in the corner of my eye that he was just standing in shock that I would do something like that

10. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

Most likely he was on the phone to your customer [his neighbor] complaining about you. I would call them and see if thats the case . they are the ones who pay you not him. If he did call then you can explain the situation and see what they think.