What would you do in this situation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bondman35a, Jun 15, 2005.

1. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

Ok, Your at the last lawn of the day, you almost got caught in the rain before. You are finished with the trimming and you drop the gate and start mowing. 3 or 4 passes in it starts to rain. You run to get the rain jacket and by this point in time you become completely soaked head to toe. Do you wait the rain out and finish up. Or do you Call it a day because you know the yard will turn out like crap because it is so wet and you are just asking for problems? I called it a day because this wasnt an upscale neighborhood, and Just because is isnt doesnt mean that I will cut in the rain just to get it done and have it turn out like crap. I dont have a ton of work to do tomorow but I know I can squeeze the rest of this lawn in. So what would have been your choice?

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

depends on how much was left. if I had an hour or so left of mowing, it's a day. 20 min and I'm not stopping.

3. bondman35a

bondman35a LawnSite Member

So your telling me that you would blow through it with total disregard to the end product?

4. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I mow unless its a long downpoor. In fact, did a few in the rain today. Some might not come out quite as good, most do. Not mowing in the rain isn't really an option for a lot of us, especially if you were almost done. Backtracking sucks and costs money!!!

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

my mower does fine in the rain. doesn't look any different. I stop when the belts get too wet to pull the mower.

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If it was enough to cause puddles i would stop my customers dont like me on the lawn when its raining.If it's commercial i might try and finish depending on how wet it got.

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

If we get caught in the rain, yes we finish. We have never left a lawn half uncut to go back to the next day once it quits raining. Bite the bullet and finish the lawn doing the best you can under the circumstances. Time is money, and the next day our route will be in a different area. No way we are driving all the way back to finish up half a lawn.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I hear ya, all depends on you and the machine.
    Done it once or twice but now I don't mow in the rain because it takes longer and that costs $$$ also ... Thou I always mow first because it's lots easier to weedeat if the rain starts :)

9. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Just makes a big mess and If you can avoid it take a break, when the sun comes out most of the moisture dries fast. If you know what you're doing you can cut in pretty wet conditions. If we get caught in the rain we use the power sweeps to clean the pavement.

10. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it has alot to do with the type of grass in question and the cut quality of the mower. On the southern varieties I mow, it makes no difference whether or not it gets wet with my JD757.