1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What Would You Do In This Situation?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frosty_03, Jun 11, 2003.

1. Frosty_03

Frosty_03 LawnSite Senior Member

The other day after a good day I was unloading my trailer, when I notice this guy in a small jeep pulling up to my house. First he asked me if I lived here and then he asked me if I had a lawn service that did my lawn. He then added that he had some flyers he was passing out to get into the business of lawn care. I told him that I was in the business and that the equipment he was looking at was mine. I could have ran him off, but I offered him some advice on how he could get started. He seem like an alright guy. I did turned him on to account that I couldn't do. I also turned him on to this site. I wished him the best of Luck and shook his hand even. His name was Jim. So if you all see Jim from Munford / Atoka TN. area give some good advice. I just thought I would pass this on to you true professional's out there with a wide field of knowledge. This is a good site I sure have learn alot from it. So I ask again what would you all have done in this situation? GOD SPEED!!!!! :cool:
  2. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

You did good. :)

Most people would just walk away.

I talked to a dad about his 12 year old daughter getting into this. He was very polite and let me do the mowing for the house he was selling (he's a realtor) we talked aabout it for a while and then he was very pleased. :)
  3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't need advice, you did the correct thing. No sense in being negative or hostile toward the guy, he's going to work any area he can, if you blew him off, he'd just come back when you're not around.
    Good going
  4. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

well corny as it may sound, I try to live by the Golden Rule...I often give accounts I dont want to a couple of guys I run into at the gas station or the equip dealer. In all things about my business I try to elevate what we do, how we handle ourselves and interact with customers and guys in our business. While the favors I do for other guys are rarely returned, we have built a reputation that is second to none....so good for you in helping this guy out a bit. Good deeds often pay rewards many times over...and besides, its just the right thing to do.

I'll never forget a couple years ago when I was knocking on doors to drum up new business when one of our largest operators here in this area was working a couple houses down the street.After he loaded his trailer, he walked over introduced himself and asked about the services we offer and our business practices. Said he was paring down his residential work(he's into big commercial/industrial with 4 crews) anf and would I be interested in certain ones that fit my route. Told him yes and over the next few months he sent 4 accounts my way. And have sent accounts his way that dont fit our business.To this day he'll blow his horn at us or stop by for a quick hello when able. After meeting this guy I told myself that he was a guy to pattern myself after. Sorry for the long post but so often we complain about the yahoos in our business that its nice to mention a positive experience with a peer in our business.
  5. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

You did a good deed,, I've been back in the LCO now for the second year and if I see a newbie out and about I'll try to stop and meet them. I still stop and ask the established LCO's questions and they are real civil to me, and I really appreciate it.. What goes around comes around..

Lou :cool:
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I've met some real good people much the same way. Some are even on here, now.;)
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

frosty, congradulations, you just took the first step . you have given your direct competition the head start he needed to put you out of business, or at least lower your pay. not a very smart move in my opinion. "what would i have done?" hows this sound. "nice to meet you. we charge $12 for each lawn, and u have to bag and remove everything, its just part of the business. and you CAN apply herbicides, and grub treatments without a license, just as long as you buy it from home depot and not a proffesional supplyer. o, and you need some customers to get you started, i got some that would love to have you......". give me a break will ya guys. who in thier right mind teaches their direct competition how to run a business. are u guys running businesses, or is this just a hobby or something. more lawn services=lower fees=poverty. smarten up will ya
  8. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

You did the right thing Frosty. Typical response from bobbygedd. Always wanting to pick a fight and make life more difficult for himself. I am quite certain that his lack of professionalism he shows us on this site is even more evident in his workmanship. Not a lot of referral business, huh bobby.
  9. Port City Lawncare

Port City Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I'd love to hear how assholio got started. Enlighten us!
  10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

your opinion of me means nothing. i wonder if the kernal gave his secret recipe to roy rogers. i wonder if a master chef shares his recipies with competing resturaunts. you people are bizzarre. yea dude you did a very NICE thing, it warmed my heart to hear it. was it a good business move? nope