what would you do in this situation

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rednecktjr, Aug 3, 2004.

1. rednecktjr

rednecktjr LawnSite Member

i picked up a nice account early this spring about 1.5 acre yard lots of triming charged 75 dollars.evrything going very well instaled some nice mulch beds done bush triming.customer tried to get me to lower my deck all spring so the grass wouldnt be so tall the next week.i talked him out of it.spent time making sure no grass was piled up in the yard.finally the grass slows up the least little bit and he wants to go to biweeklyand i did when i got bach there the grass was a mess i mean a mess.icut it one time blowed off the side walk and left.i ask him if we could go back to every week he said hed like to stay with every other week.he left before we did.now should i just hack the grass down or spend extra time there trying to get it nice?i know money isnt a problem even though thats the excuse i get.i know what the response is going to be but i hate to lose this one.

2. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

hey man is wut i do is mow with the deck all the way up.. and if they complain then then explain to them again.. i got one customer thats like that.. had the grass down tamed and every week.. then after that he's like well my kid is home for the summer and hes ganna cut it.. well the kid cut it once and he called me back and was like mike can u come back and mow it.. i said the only way i will is if i cut it every week if not the price goes up.. cuz i have to spend more time to make it look good.. talked him in to goin once a week :) tell it dies out for sure ... good luck man!

3. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

One thing i have learned in business is you sometimes you have to give people exactly what they want and let them figure it out on thier own. Go over it once and wait for them to bring it up if there is a problem. They know what it looked like before as compare to EOW so they know the situation.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Cut it and leave it. It will look like crap consistently, and if that's what he wants, then that's what he wants. That must be where his priorities lay. There are people who are like that. Explain it to him like this. Ask him; "What is the first thing people look at and see when they drive up to a house?"
    Then again, some people just don't care.

5. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

If it's taking you extra time to mow taller grass..than charge more.

You intial price was for weekly mowing, knowing that it wouldn't be as bad in a weeks time. If he want's to go to every-other-week, then charge accordingly. Explain the reasoning behind it to the customer.

If it really isn't taking you any more time...then don't charge more.

I do have some customers that change up on me when grass slows down...if it really isn't more work, I don't charge more. But, I have had some customers who change up and it is more work. I tell them that it is ok if they go EOW, but, I have to charge a little more cuz of the extra work invovled, but, when you go back to weekly mowing, the price will come back down.

It's fair and reasonable. If you explain it that way to the customer they should understand...if they don't, you are better off without them.

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Once again with the eow stuff. You just gotta say no to that kind of thing, the overall motivation for eow people is being cheap. They don't care if you gotta bust your butt to make it look nice. They just don't want to pay you properly. And you go and bust your butt making it look good for less money, facilitating his cheapness. Go and tell him it's weekly or nothing, the grass is getting too long and too messy to cut it eow. And then from now on tell people 'no' when they ask you to cut eow.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

AMEN..... Leave the cheapskate's for someone else to fool with...

8. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

If you go from a weekly cut to a cut that is over 10 days, you should charge more. Not only does it take more time to cut but it is more of a strane on your equipment. You have to decide how much you should go up. If the guy tells you that he will not pay what you are asking for then it is better for you to find another job working for someone that appreciates your work. There is too much work out there to stress over something like this...

9. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Drop the customer. Long term this account sounds like trouble.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

EOW is a dumb idea unless you get paid the same or more.

If weekly is $30, then EOW should be $60-65.

But IMO the way around that is to get them on monthly pay. That way he will be bitching if you aren't there every week.

My contract says I will cut weekly April - Nov (depending on weather) cut EOW Dec - Mar. This comes out to approximately 42 cuts per year @ $xxx per month or averaging $xx per cut.

Only the cheapskates have any concerns, because everyone who cares what their lawn looks like KNOWS they will have a rough looking jungle after 10+ days, in the growing season.