What would you do? Major PITA customer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sethsodsquad, Jan 20, 2005.

1. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

I just signed on to my email account (6:00 PM) and saw that I had an email from one of my customers - one actually living right next to my house.

I opened it up, and here's the exact message: "Tree trimmers are coming tomorrow, so can you please clean the back yard this evening? Thank you, and I will try to settle the balance of our bill by the end of the month."
    (Note: this person has a balance on the bill still from November . . .)

Hm, well, what would you say - it's dark, no lights over at their place to turn on, it just snowed quite a bit a week ago (This person has a really really muddy backyard and there is quite a bit of standing water in their grass-less back yard, and its pretty cold. . . would you do it?

I didn't because I had school work and other things to attend to in the evening. I asked myself: "Why had the guy just come over and asked (in person, right then and there, at an earlier time) if I could clean the back yard.

Anyways, I email the guy back saying that I could not perform this task because it was too late. I said I would be able to do it later the next day, would that be all right?

He said no, and asked if I could do it before school . . . I said I would run into the same problem as tonight. (too dark + way early <6:00 am)

So, I go to school the next day, come home, and go straight over to his house to clean up his back yard, because I notice that the tree trimmers had not arrived. I get on my huge water-proof boots because it's gonna be a real messy job. Go over there, clean up the back yard in about 45 minutes, and I'm done.

Come home, and check my email. Have a note from the same guy, sent at 8:00 am (while I was at school). Here it is:
    The yard has been frozen.... no reason why you couldn't have picked up. Obviously, we are not high on your priority list. No problem, I'll do it myself. Your services will no longer be needed. Please send us your final bill.

That one's pretty funny - the yard's been frozen with about an inch thick of ice, and he say's I could still do it. . . (could you do it?)

What do you think?

Seth

2. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

Just hope he slips on the ice and breaks his stupid mouth and typing fingers so you don't have to hear his garbage again. And why would anyone clean-up before tree trimmers? Afterwards would make more sense.

3. jeffh1988

jeffh1988 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I would charge the heck out of him on that final bill. I am in school and have had people to ask me to skip school to do yard work for them and i see them as very inconsiderate people...I don't have any of those poeple as my customers anymore!

4. sethsodsquad

lawnguyland - I was picking up "dog stuff" before the trimmers came.
    jeffh1988 - good idea, but then again, he's my neighbor. . .

Seth

5. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

He sounds like a complete moron. If he had paid his bill on time and been a little more considerate about your schedule, maybe he would have been a little higher on your "priority list". I'd say he has done you a favor by quiting service.

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would tell him to pick up his own dog crap.

How much can you make doing that ?There a lot of company's here that do that as well.

7. sethsodsquad

I make about $6 per dog per week. He has two rotweiler-mastiff mixes - so it's one of my unfavorable accounts for doing that.

Another bit of info about this customer -
    I got him because he had 3ft tall grass in his backyard and 1ft tall in his front. He was called by the city to take care of it, otherwise they would.

They don't do anything outside, and I really doubt the lawn will get mowed. Although he doesn't water anymore anytime, so he basically doesn't have a lawn.

Seth

8. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Seth,

You did what the guy asked.
    You did it a soon as possible.
    It got done before it was needed.
    You are covered.
    Send the Guy a bill and be fair with the price, don't gouge him.
    If he pays you and your done with him, great.
    If he doesn't pay you. He definately won't call and ask for anything. If he has the nerve to call again and ask for anything, you have a green light to tell him to F off. Just do it politely. So for what ever you lose in the deal you never have to worry about the PITA again.(from the movie Bronx Tale).
    PITA's are a dime a dozen. Your better off with out him.

Paul

9. sethsodsquad

Yeah, and I might be able to get the city on him too later on because of his lawn condition.

Seth

10. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

funny he has money to pay the tree trimmers but not you put lean on his house