What would you do? Real Scenario

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KINGjosh, Aug 30, 2005.

1. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer that calls me every once in a while for services. Anyway, she calls me last night and tells me her friend is looking for a lawn guy to come out and give her an estimate on ripping some bushes out, and give a price on the lawn because she doesn't like her current lawn care co. She gives me the address to go over there and talk with her friend.

I get to the address and realize that I am her current Lawn Co. Eeeeewwww!
    What would you do? I'll tell you guys what I did later.

2. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

:dizzy: :help: All i can say is OUCH i would love to hear what you did, and how you approached all this

3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Me too! :dizzy:

4. Kickin Your Grass

Kickin Your Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Go back to the customer that told you to go over there and try to pump some more detailed info out of them.

5. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

I'd confront her on the situation in a heartbeat.
    For grass cutting only customers, I don't know a lot of our customers and some of them don't care if it's us or a friend of theirs cutting, no personal It might just be that she doesn't realize all the services you offer or how good a guy you are to know personally.

6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Ouch! That stinks! I would casually ask the person that gave you the address why her friend did not like her/you current lawn care service. Then ask the lady also what she thought of your service, without letting on that you are her friends LCO. Would like to see her expression when you tell both that you are the LCO that friend was unhappy with. See if the client has a legit complaint or is just being a typical pita or price shopper. I'm curious how you handled it, but I hate for someone to tell me so and so does not like me and so and so has never complained to me about my work, that would sorta hurt my feelings and chap my arse at the same time.

7. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

big and proud as you please, with references in hand....and then drop her on the spot, unless she wants to pay double...

8. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

That's devastating... wonder why she didn't tell you in the first place? Or do you know why?

9. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

Learn from the sitution. Learn why she doesnt like your services and fix the situation. Sometimes the customer is unreasonable, but more often than not their LCO is providing them with inferior service.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

funniest thing i heard all day!

ok. seriously now. ask her what she dont like about you or what youre doing wrong. then ask her if theres some sort of agreement you can come to. maybe give her a slight discount on the extra work... but tell her you'd normally would charge $x (which is 10% higher than you'd actually would charge), but because of these recent issues with you you'll do it for $x and you'll also do (something minor) for free and give her 10% off the mowing bill.

if that dont work then drop the old hag.