What would you do with 4000 bucks?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Team Green Property Maint, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Team Green Property Maint

Team Green Property Maint LawnSite Member

Hey everybody, Im in my third year doing business but havent distributed any advertising until this season. I made it thru a terrible situation recently and but managed to save my truck, trailer/equipment, laptop and printer. I own a 32 inch scag, 22 inch toro, kawasaki trimmer, mcclane edger and two blowers. I have 4000 cash and need as many customers as I can get. I would like to distribute somewhere around 10000 and expect to get about 150 weekly customers. How would you spend 4000 bucks to get the most customers for your investment?

Also,
    Does any body go thru the post office with bulk mail? If so, whats the cost per half page flier and how do you get the addresses?

Also, what do you think about putting the pricing on the flier themselves such as "yards priced at 25 35 and 45 per cut"?

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

2. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Advertise, as much as you can, I had 9000 when I first started but spent it on foolish things

3. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

I would spend $3000 on advertising and bank the rest. Do direct mailers, you can buy around 5000 pieces for $3000ish

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Looked at USPS once - total ripoff.

5. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

That's some pretty good advice...but might I add to maybe do a few less direct mailers and do some fliers and an ad in a local paper. I just like to spread out my advertising money in a few different places.

6. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

If you have more time than money go door to door with doorhangers in the areas you want to work.

If you have more money than time, do direct mail and flyers inserted in local papers.

I have always wanted to do doorhangers but it is very,very time consuming.

7. NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC

NEW CITY LAWN CARE LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the Landscape Maintenance season like in Denver? I've heard they get like 300 sunny days a year, but cold weather, does the grass actually grow a lot?

8. nnj18

nnj18 LawnSite Silver Member

thanx, lol I try....yah thats true too, might be better to just buy 3000 direct mailers for $2500 and stick $500 into other forms of advertising. EITHER way, he should try and keep atleast $700 in the bank.....$1000 is better.

9. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

hell yeah, definitely keep some extra money in the bank...you never know what will break or other expenses will pop up.

10. GreenOpie213

GreenOpie213 LawnSite Member

What i would do is go to 3000doorhangers.com you get 3000 hangers for $179 you cant beat that. Then just hire a couple of people to pass them out save the extra money.