1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do with a yard in this shape?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CSRA Landscaping, Oct 1, 2002.

1. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

All sand. Centipede, predominantly, some bermuda and bahia mixed in, those will probably get nuked. Pine trees, 55 of them on 1.5 acres. Very thin grass, look slike a beach.

What would you do to get this yard to thicken up and look good? TIA ...
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

What is our budget?
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

-Kill everything that is growing now.
    -Take out about half the Pine trees.
    -Put down about 2" of top soil and organic humus mix.
    -Till to about a 6" depth.
    -Seed with a mix of full sun fescue and shade fescue.
    -Fertilize with a good starter fert.
    -Add water.
    -Add water.
    -Add water.
    -Look out for the Chia Pet. :D

4. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

I know this 'll never flym but first thing I'd want to do is cut down about 50 of the trees to get some sunlight to the ground.
  5. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

To start ....

One 55 gal. drum of gasoline ( spread evenly) and a match :blob2:

Then Green Pasture has it from there ....:D :D
  6. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Everything starts with a budget. Otherwise we're just dreaming.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like u got a problem and the folks not willing to pay the mega bucks to fix it.
    believe id do research on what is doing well in similar areas dn there. ph is probably terrible ,so first thing is a good soil test to find out what to start with . good luck.
  8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

oops, yes you're right, I should have put
    -Get a quality soil test done.
    -Take out half the Pine trees.
    -Put down 2" of top soil and organic humus mix.

This way you would know for sure what kind of fertilizer and at what rate to put it down. Or you could do a soil test after tilling the top soil and humus into the sand. I don't think that either way would be wrong, just testing the soil after tilling in the humus and top soil would most likely allow you to put down less fert. Look to have to put down ALOT of lime to neutralize the acids in the soil from the pine needles. Then make sure you rake up or bag up the clippings and pine needles in the future. Excessively acidic soil is one of the #1 killers of fescue. I dont think we pay enough attention to ph levels.

On another note, it would be wise to ring the Pine trees that are left with Azelias or some other acid loving flowering shrub. They would do VERY well to have the pine straw raked up under them as mulch. But be aware that anywhere there is alot of acid in the soil, fescue will struggle.

Budget, obviously matters, but I will say this. Based on your telling us what the customer wants (a thick good looking lawn) there is only really one way to go. That advice has been posted in response to your question.
  9. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

I'm with KLMlawn on this. A little Jewish lighting wouldn't hurt then start over again.
  10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, this is my yard, we bought the place in July. I don't have a lot to sink into it at one time, otherwise I would have already killed everything, brought in soil, tilled, and seeded. I don't think we want to get rid of the trees, we've discussed that. Fescue would be in critical condition here, I think, centipede is the desired outcome. Lime is a must. Several azaleas here already, both regular and formosa.

What I'm wondering is this: is there a way to get it to thicken up without doing everything at once? For the topsoil alone (and this isn't for the good stuff) it would cost me close to $4k, then I have to rent the tractor to get it in and graded. Then seed, etc.

I read a post on humates, water retention, etc. I was wondering if something like that would be a valid idea.