What would you do with your mower??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Ranger 13, May 6, 2004.

1. Lawn Ranger 13

Lawn Ranger 13 LawnSite Member

I am a school teacher who has been mowing part time for the last three years. I have between 25-30 accounts. I mostly work by myself except in the fall and early spring. I currently use a Great Dane surfer 22/61 that has about 400 hours. I am going to upgrade to a Hustler 27/60 Super Z. Here is my question. Do I need to keep the surfer or should I trade it in. I really like the surfer but I want to go to a rider. I'm leaning toward keeping the surfer so I will have a backup. I enjoy mowing and I plan on staying in this for the long haul. I need some feedback. Thanks!

2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I would keep it.

3. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

If it has no mechanical problems, cuts well and financially you can keep it, I would use this as a back up mower. Just make sure you use it from time to time and keep up the maintenance on it. I know nothing about your surfer, but you never know when this might be helpful on another property or you have emplyee's that can use it.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Keep it as a backup or sell it yourself. I doubt you'd get top dollar in a trade-in situation. They have to make a profit selling it again and accept the risk of it not being in the shape it appears to be.

5. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would keep it just in case you need it one day or if you really want to get rid of it ship it to me I'll be more than happy to take it.LOL

6. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

keep it i wish i would of got a stand up instead of a ztr

7. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Another possibility that i havnt seen posted is this:
    What if you get busier and want to expand to a second truck? If you keep this other mower then someday you may need it and dont have the inital cost of buying a whole nother trucks worth of equip. Either way i would keep it too for this reason and those listed above as well.

8. BrandonH

BrandonH LawnSite Member

I would definitely keep it if you can afford to. You never know when you may need another mower due to increase in work load or if your new one is in the shop for a day.

-Brandon

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, totally. If you are able to keep it, then do so. DEFinitely don't trade it in. They give you a fraction of what it's worth.

10. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

Just do like a LCO in my area has done. Bought new trailer and new Grasshopper mower and still uses his old steiner. The Grasshopper is a back-up. No I am not joking.