1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do...?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mkwl, Apr 3, 2005.

What would you do...?

1. Mow with the chute up.

10 vote(s)
  2. Mow with the chute down.

3 vote(s)
  1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a queswtion for you guys. If a customer requests thet the lawn not be bagged at all (most of my lawns are bagged), when you mow if the grass is long (1 weeks spring growth), do you mow with the discharge chute up or down, assuming there isn't really anything to be thrown except grass clippings. Thanks in advance.
  2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Discharge chutes up. The grass dispurses much better this way IMO.
  3. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

the only way i would mow with the chute up is if iwas the only one around, no people or houses. if you break a window or take an eye out, ur up the creek :help:
  4. THill3

THill3 LawnSite Member

Chute up always
  5. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

I mow with my deflector up unless I am in an area I want to control the clippings. I am also very aware of my surroundings at all times. I will disengage my blades if I will be aiming the chute at passer byers. I have seen rocks and stuff still fly very far even with the deflector down.
  6. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I mow with it up (thats why they make them like that !!) , unless there is cars kids or stupid ass people that will not move outa the way!!
  7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm with Turf Surfer.

I've seen rocks fly just as far with the deflector down as with no deflector.

Over the years, I've broken 2 windows.

The rock came out the opposite side of the chute as I was mowing around a house. Out the "closed" side of the deck.

The other window I broke was on a minivan, threw a rock with the trimmer and completely destroyed the window.

Funniest part about that, was it was at a body shop.

When I went in to tell the manager what had just happened, I had to wait because they were calling the people to come and pick up the vehicle. ;)