What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasswhacker, Apr 5, 2005.

1. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

If you were parked in front of a mail box and while mowing the postal worker in a delivery truck stopped and ask you to put the mail in the box for them?
    Which means you have to stop your mower , go to the truck and put it in the customers box. Would you accomodate the mailperson or say to them that i am not a postal delivery worker so I cannot do it; thinking all the time that they should get off their fanny and walk 15 ft. to the box?
    Have any of you had this happen before?
    Also should a non postal employee be handling someone elses mail? What if an important piece got lost, who would be to blame?

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Usually there is a city/town/village ordinance to keep a clear place in front of the mailbox. Usually they will slip a note under the wiper citing the law or ordinance and not deliver the mail till its clear.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would ignore them and/or tell them the exercise will do them good.

4. grasswhacker

Did a search on our ordinances and found nothing.

5. grasswhacker

But is it legal for them to ask you to handle someone elses mail and open their mailbox?

6. rodfather

Probably not. They're just too damn lazy to get off their fat ass and walk 10 feet or so...like it's gonna kill them!

7. grasswhacker

She gave me a real tongue lashing when I told her that it was not my job to deiver the mail. By the time she was done arguing with me and walked to their door (not leaving the mail) she could have put it in the box. She said "don't park in front of the box, and I replied since it is a public street i will park where I please so long as it does not block a drive. She did not like that to well. I told here once before when she did it, and i did put it in the box that it would be the last time i would do so. Must have forgotten last year. lol

8. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

This was a response from a news channel that answered the question: http://www.nbc4.com/answerstoaskliz2003/2661125/detail.html
    Q: Can a postal employee tell me not to park my car in front of my house, mailbox? I received a note saying please stop parking your car in front of this mailbox or she will not be able to deliver the mail

A: We called the US Postal Service for your answer, and it says the postal workers must be able to get to the mailbox in order to deliver they mail.

And if the mailman delivers your mail from a truck, he or she must be able to drive up to and access the mailbox. If a car is parked in front of the mailbox, the postal worked can't access so yes, they can ask you not to block access to the mailbox. And remember, the same rules apply if it snows and the mailman can't get your mailbox or mail-slot

I would not touch another persons mail due to the afore mentioned reasons (questions of theft, not my job, liability if something was lost). I would think the mailman/woman thought she was doing a favor as she could have not delivered it.

9. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, but figure that they do this job 6 days a week. Also take into consideration blocked mailboxs probably happen to them all day. I would get real sick of it if it were me. Legally your not supposed to block mailboxes, so I always grab the mail from the mail truck and put it in the box when I see the truck. Afterall your giving your customer their mail.

10. rodfather

One question. Was she shaped like a beach ball?