1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 21, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ring, ring......"hello, ajax landscaping, can i help you?" he says, "hi, my name is chuck smith. i was refered to you by your clients mrs. jones and mrs. addams. you come highly recommended. i have a problem, and i need your help. i just flew in from out of state, my father is your clients neighbor, he had a heart attack, and is not expected to live more than another few days. this means i will be having alot of people here, and honestly, the property is embarresing. the leaves havn't been cleaned in 2 yrs, the bushes not trimmed in 3-4 yrs. the place is a disaster. i need this place cleaned up asap. money is no object, i know you must be busy, but under the circumstances i have nowhere else to turn, and this is very important to my family and me. can you help me?" now, if i accomidate him, it means at least 10 of my lawns will go uncut this week. the reason? torrential downpours are predicted for sat, which is my "spillover" day. what would you do?
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Mow in the rain. I never deviate from my mowing schedule. Same yard, same time every week rain or shine.
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

So, your company name is Ajax Landscaping.....how lame. :laugh: j/k

I would give him a price that suits the rush request, and I would cut the other laws as soon as you can. You say that bad weather is predicted, right? Tell the clients that you have to put off a day or two that your contract clearly states that you will be there the same day every week..... "weather permitting".
  4. wally world III

wally world III LawnSite Member

Sorry, but i'm booked full...............
    you'll have to try elsewhere...................

with 263 fertilizer & grass seed & corn gluten meal
    plus 81 lawn mowing jobs.........................

Plus, this is just a fill ~~in job...............

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
  5. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Not go fishing at 2 in the afternoon like you say you do. Youll just have to work longer during the week.
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

For the right money, I'd do it. Your maintenance customers will get over it, even if you have to cut them next week. I doubt you will lose any of them over it.
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

I would let him know that I can not undo 2 years of neglect but can spend a couple of hours blowing out the beds and mulching the leaves up. Yes I am a sucker for sad stories. Would let him know what my hourly rate or how much I am willing to do and explain that I have regular customers that I must service. If that was not acceptable would refer him to several other companies.
  8. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

If your mowing customers are contracts than they come first. they are the ones paying your salary in the winter ....not the one time job.
  9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yup, that is the sign of knowing how to run a business long term.

I would be tempted to work on one of your days off. I believe you said Tues and Wed. Perhaps hire on a guy to help with the mowing for a day or two so you can catch yourself back up. A dedicated edger and blower guy would make the lawns go by quicker.
  10. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Well, since it is supposed to snow Sunday here in WV, I dunno what to tell you.