What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gaither, Apr 25, 2005.

1. gaither

gaither LawnSite Member

I know this is has been discussed time and time again but i wanted some thoughts. I swore i was done with 2 week yards and but now i am in a dilema. I have roughly 14 accounts all with in a mile redaius of my house. I have been doing most of these for several years. Some are elderly and some are young professionals. They are all 1/3 acre. I have picked up 2 of these this year but i told them they had to be done every week and they said fine. I mow all these on tuesday - wednesday. Now both of these are wanted to go every other week. My fear is if my other costumers see this they want to go to it as well especially later in the summer.

What would you guys do?

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Just say... sorry, no can do and thank you for your business.

3. LALawnboy

LALawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

i agree with lawn-scapes. on one of my bigger yards, i started out every 2 weeks. i don't know how her grass grows so fast but waiting 2 weeks to cut it made it miserable. so i talk to her about it and she was very understanding since it honestly took about 45 min longer to do it every 2 weeks (more trimming and having to double cut some areas). just maybe sit down and talk to the customers and explain your situation.

4. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I like yards that are close. Is the time spent double cutting less than the time driving? As for the other customers, it your job as a salesman to explain that every 2 weeks is not good for the lawn etc. I also am assuming that you carge at least 1/3 more for 2 week lawns.

5. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

I started by not doing EOW cuts. However, the demand for it is high. So, I very reluctantly agreed to it on a limited basis with some restrictions.

First, I tell them that I cannot guarantee the look of their lawn under any circumstances because cutting EOW is horrible and damaging for their grass And, they better expect to see grass clippings all over the yard because I will not double cut it for the price I am quoting them.

Second, I charge them 1.5 times the regular price.

Third, if we hit one of those weeks where it rains the whole week and I miss cutting them, they are not to complain that it is too high and they are not to complain when I do cut it that the grass clippings are all over the place.

I categorize these lawns as "Get Er Dun" yards. It is obvious the owners do not care what their lawns look like short of just knocking down the big stuff. This does not mean that I will not try to do a good job within the limits set by cut schedule being EOW, because I will do the best I can. But if they want a nice yard, it should be every week cut.

Lastly, they are the first to be cut from my schedule when it fills up with regular cuts or lawns that make my route tighter.

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

...Tn Lawn Man. He hit the nail right on the head. I personally need all the accounts I can get, and have no problem doing lawns EOW, but I charge more and make it known to the customer that their lawn is not going to look as nice as it would if cut weekly. These type of customers just want it cut. I understand, Gaither, that you are concerned about your other customers seeing this EOW thing happening and wanting to do the same. This is the point where you have to be a salesman and point out that "those EOW folks don't care about what their lawn looks like and I know YOU do because I have been cutting your grass every week for so long and you don't want to ruin this nice lawn because cutting EOW is bad for it and blah blah blah yackety-schmakety...
    You get the point. But, I guess if there are weekly accounts to replace the EOW's, pick em up and dump the others. It all comes down to how much you need the work! I need it so I take em...JMO

7. timinkc

timinkc LawnSite Member

i do some every other week gigs, don't worry about what the other customers "might" do... maybe they don't want it to like like crap... maybe if they knew you did every other mowing they'd reffer you to a friend who wants that.... it's really simple to me... if you're sittin around 2 days a week with nothin to do than do whatever's available. if you've got so much work that it's starting to negativly impact quality, then tell them to hit the bricks... but all this " i'm so cool i'd never do a yard every other week" cra9 is just that, cra9.

8. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

What would happen if you told them that if they want to save and have their lawn cut every other week, that when you cut you would cut it like you were doing it weekly. And would not do it twice, however it looks well that is what they wanted to pay for kinda like if you want to name the price than i will dictate the mowing. :waving:

9. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Like Bobby says.

This ain't Burger King. *^(# gets done my way.

So it is weekly or the highway.

But the easier way is to stop quoting people by the CUT. Quote by the Month. Then if they want EOW tell them fine. But the price is the same. That gets most of them to "Let" you mow weekly.

10. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. I just tell people, "I am sorry. We only offer weekly mowing packages." Then I wait for them to respond. Sometimes I get, "Oh. Ok. No problem. Just thought I'd ask. Can I get a price for the weekly service?" Or other times I get, "Oh, okay. Well I'll try elsewhere. Thank you."

Regardless, I don't care. We're busy enough I don't need to waste my time with EOW accounts. Let the scrubs or new guys have those accounts.