1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would YOU do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lpwhandyman, Jun 27, 2005.

1. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

You've just gotten the go ahead with 12 new lawn properties. All from one company. You've already worked for this company in the past doing other projects. You mow all of the properties and you come to the last one and it doesn't need mowed. You think hmmm, maybe this was done by the last guy late in the week before. OK no problem, you go ahead and trim because it looks like it hasn't been done in a while and you go ahead and stick edge sidewalks and curbs. You come back next week and again it doesn't need mowed, but you see pushmower lines. So you investigate further and find a mower sitting on the property. And yes, we have the right property. So here's the question. What would YOU do? Do you continue showing up, only spending a few minutes trimming and edging as needed, letting the rentals do the mowing and charge full amount? Do you talk to the people renting and let them know that we'll be doing it from now on? It is a small corner lot and not much work is needed. I know what we'll be doing, but I thought it would be a good question to ask others. So what would you do?
  2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I mow when I'm scheduled to mow, if you mowed friday, and it's monday, I'm mowing it! I have a customer who cuts every other week in between my biweekly cuts ( I know this situation kind of sucks), he cut the yard on sunday and forgot I was scheduled to come on monday, and I cut anyway. He almost got mad, but I reminded him that he screwed up the schedule and if I'm coming to do the job I will do the job or I will fill his spot with another job. Don't have time to book up the schedule and not make the cheese.
  3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you have a contract on it? If so you bill it but I would be honest and tell the property owner the situation. I'm in a similar situation and just tolld them the old guy mowed it and I had to clean it up and edge so per conntract I billed it. Haven't heard a complaint it was just a mix up. Be honest though and don't risk loosing 12 over a small lie.
  4. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

agree with Pro...whether it's a $30 or $300 property not worth screwing up the other 11. If you end up with only 11, that's 11 more then you had last week.

let the prop owner decide, it renter is not taking care of it the way he likes you'll probably end up with it anyway. we have 2 duplexe units. the owner upcharges monthly rental to cover lawn maintenance. he negotiated monthly fee (discounted rent) with resident a couple of times but they never took care of it the way he wanted. today he will not discuss, not an option, just gives the work to us.
  5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

It's simple. I'd call the person/firm I was doing the work for and tell them and ask them how THEY wished you to handle it since they are the paying client. Chances are they are passing along the cost to the renter and they aren't aware of that and the client should handle it with the renter.
  6. ken0564

ken0564 LawnSite Member

So...what did you end of doing??
  7. lpwhandyman

lpwhandyman LawnSite Member

The right thing......Called their office and explained to them what was going on. I said we still have to charge the full amount. But the lawn has been cut wayyyy too short and if we continue without rain, it will be brown grass instead of green. Why do people like to put mowers down to the lowest setting to cut their grass anyway? I never understood that. They need to come to lawnsite. ;)