what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Jul 15, 2005.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

we have a customer who is a weekly. we drove by her house today and the grass hasn't grown (any). and i stress any. what would you do? i already made up my mind but i was just wanting opinions. thanks.

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

If the client doesn't call in advance to skip or postpone mowing, it gets mowed. I've had occasions where a crew chief would "skip" a cut only to get reamed because the client was going to host a party in the next day or so. I have also been reamed for "what were you cutting?" Our contract reads weekly service and client must call to request to skip a mowing.

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

If a residential lawn doesn't need cutting, I don't cut it. But if its a commercial property and I see weeds sticking up, it gets cut. I hate this weather, do i cut or not, drives me insane sometimes.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Ifs its a residentual and does not need cutting, I do not cut it. I hate it when its like that though.

5. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

2005 Toyota Tundra MAX reg. cab, V6
    Lazer Z, 60" deck, 27 kol.,ultra-vac QDS
    John Deere 737
    John Deere 717 (sold)
    John Sabre, 14.5hp, 38" deck,(used for gated yards)
    Echo 650 BP blower
    Echo 200 edger
    Echo weedeaters, 2000 & 2100 model
    Echo hedge clippers, 1700 & 2400 model
    accelerator XL grass catcher
    -------21" hercules push mower----------
    sthil hand held blower
    6.5 X 13 trailor

What's a hercules push mower?

Oh and I think if it doesn't need cutting don't cut it. I worked for a guy once where he would cut a lawns that really didn't need it and they didn't like it cut for no reason.

6. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I try to contact the customer and explain to them that it does not appear that their property needs to be cut at this time and stressing it further during these conditions is not recommended in my opinion. But, if for some reason they want it mowed then mow it. This method heads off any problems and lets the customer know that you are taking care of business.

7. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

depends on if they complianed not in the past for missed cuts.

8. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

If its residential i skip it.Mowing when it doesnt need it will just kill it even more.If you skip it for a week you might get lucky and be able to cut it the next week.

9. Nathan 281

Nathan 281 LawnSite Member
    from MN

So when you say skip you are loosing your time and money spent to get their? Or are you getting played either way with contract

10. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Same practice here and yes it does tend to push one over the edge at times :waving:

-Geoff