What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by denco5, Jul 16, 2005.

1. denco5

denco5 LawnSite Member

While mowing I was stopped by three homeowners in the same subdivision. They all asked if I had time to cut one more. They stated "their guy' has not shown up in two weeks on weekly service agreement. They say they would like me to start and continue from now on. How long would you wait to see if "their guy" shows before you take the accounts?

2. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I would of had them sign a service agreement right there on the spot and did it that day, if you had time of course. Don't do the other guy a favor by waiting to see if he shows up. Go for it.

3. jtrice11

jtrice11 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd make them sign a contract, and be sure to tell them to terminate their current contract before you do any work.

4. Mr. Magpie

Mr. Magpie LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't shove a contract in a new clients' face in a setting like that. Just start working and tell them to go call their guy and tell him they got someone else. Tell them to leave a message if they get his voicemail.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

As far as you are concerned you have been hired because the other guy did not show and did not live up per agreement with his customers,The jobs are fair game and close together go cut them NOW!and don't feel bad a bit.
    These guys who are no show,no call are fair game for you to take over their accounts.And they came to you you did not go behind anybodys back to get the work.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I would have mowed all 3 and not thought twice about it...period

7. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd tell them to call the guy that was supposed to show, tell him they found someone that WILL show up when he says he will, and that the previous mowing arrangment is cancelled. then go get them to sign up, and mow for them. if its all in one area, it wont cost time getting there from another account, so from my point of view, its totally worth it.

8. johnl1

johnl1 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I have been a lurker in this forum for a while and have read a lot of the posts here. I think denco5 has ran across the first real "scrub". The guy that doesn't show up! It's not about gear, insurance or taxes. Its about service. Take the acct's and do what you do.

9. michaelmeyers31

michaelmeyers31 LawnSite Member

If he has not shown up in two weeks, he will probably not show up again. Unless of course, these clients were deadbeats and did not pay for the service. Be cautious but go for it if you have the time. They are already on your route so no travel time involved. Just do a better job and the clients will take care of the rest.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You don't! This is called getting work from being out there DOING it! The same thing happens in the spring. The more you're out there working, the more work you get out there. If this is 3 that saw you and want you to do them, then there is a good possibility there is more. Just do it. Now, if you find out later that this guy's mother died or something, then that is a different story. However, it is probably not the case. I just rolled up on a job of mine that I hadn't been to in almost 3 weeks. It has slowed way down, they don't have much to pick up, and I'm in pretty good shape. I'm going in in the morning to cleanup and cut. They will have 1 more mowing after this. Now, if someone else would've got this job, I probably would've understood. I've been with these people a long time now, though, and they know I do what's best.