1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cclllc, Jul 22, 2005.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a commercial customer who I've had since the later part of 2001. We 've had about a week of solid rain and some popups lately so naturally I'm behind.Well he wants to know why I haven't mowed it on time. Dumba**.So I explained with the way the property lays it takes awhile to dry out enough.He said well I got mine mowed. I said yes but yours' is only one lawn. He says that maybe I have too many customers that I can't stay on top of things. This is only the second time that that someone has called. Why is it comm. accounts think they should be first all the time? I ask him why they couldn't pay me on time.I have unpaid invoices from May. I ask them to do a monthly billing instead of a per cut and they say noway.He said that "we" the lawn care co's want it that way to pay a monthly bill.Then he asks well is this why you haven't mowed and I said no.He said well we are going to put it up for bids.****** me off.They have bigger problems than wet grass.Since I've been mowing I've noticed alot of wiskey bottles and beers cans on the property when I mow. I know they drink on the weekend shift.There is always trash everywhere fronm the pallets left outside.The truck drivers cut ruts in the grass which I've complained about more than once.So my question is would you rebid this property or let it go? I thought of doubling my price just for kicks.I don't want to work like this. I think what it is he just got promoted to property mang. and he is trying to throw his weight around. Heck when we first met I ask him to go to breakfast to discuss ideas and such . He didn't showup. I ask him about it and he said he forgot and didn't have time.His boss is cool.We get along good.What would you do? Thanks,john
  2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

When it comes time to re-bid, I would jack the price way up, thus if by some chance they did go for it, it would be worth the hassle. Otherwise I would just drop it and move on.
  3. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

rebid it at a very high rate, that way if someone else gets it and they are unhappy with the service mister newly promoted property manager won't look too good to the boss, and if they come back to you then you get a nice raise.
  4. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Rebid at a higher rate taking into consideration what you now know the work on that property will involve.
    Also, be sure to talk to his boss and explain the situation calmly.
    If you win the bid, it will now be worth it. If you don't get the bid, headache gone. What will be, will be.
  5. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

How can he "put it up for bids" in the middle of a contract? ;)