what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tonyr, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Following on from this thread
    http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=128800

In my situation, what would you do?

my Rear discharge deck mower over heats very easily, but has a great engine and exceptable deck, but has a growly vibration somewhere in tranny or engine. mechanics can't diagonose it, have to wait until it breaks down.

or....

the Side Discharge demo machine, 9.5 hours it has developed a nasty vibration, and engine seems to not be transferring max power to deck.
    mechanics don't understand how or what is causing this in 2 machines, 997's. 05 models.

What machine would you choose, I have to choose 1 of these, no options, no more demoes, what would you do in this situation?

The dealer has offered the SD machine as a replacement due to the troubles I've had with the RD machine, very generous, but when the replacement shows issues, lack of power and vibration, I'm a bit concerned!

yes, when the vibration causes a breakdown it is under warrantee, but downtime in our peak season can be a killer. dealer does not stock spare machines.

Interesting decision.....what would you do?:confused:

2. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

get your money back and get an exmark

3. Tonyr

yeah, theres the problem....that ain't gunna happen, and we don't have exmark here except navigator and the older diesel ztr.

i have to stay with deere, i'm 30k in debt with their machine, so trading away is a huge loss of money, plus not a lot of commercial stuff around here, lawnies here tend to buy cheap ressie mowers and flog the guts outa them...I'm now seeing why lol.

my only choice is between the 2 mowers I mentioned.....just which one is my issue.

4. True Cut Lawn Maintenance

True Cut Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Might be a stupid question Tony, but do you have the regular gas powered Deere ZTR's down there the 797 is listed at 29 HP, with either a 60 or 72 inch deck, might try that.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

When you say it isnt transferring max power to the deck, how much power does it lack? I would choose the side discharge if it has enough power to do the extreme aussie mowing I have seen pics of on here, would rather have a little less power and a vibration than having to stop all the time with an overheated engine. JMO

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the rear and make sure it breaks down asap befor the warranty expires and make them fix the over heating or give ytou another machine.Your too nice to them Tony get mean and nasty to get what you want.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

This is just too much they have been jacking you around from the start..do not let THEM dictate to you go up and over their heads and get mean,not stressed but mean..document every transaction and coversations and names and dates and get on those idiots..I am sick and tierd of them taking advantage of your good nature.You are gonna have to get real tuff with this now.I know you can do this..don't tell ME you have no other options that is BLCRP!

8. Tonyr

Ok, yes Joe we have petrol powered deeres here.
    But I'm not stepping back into a gasser, afterall, not like I'm going to get cash back, remember I'm 30k deep with this.

Transferring max power to deck....this is a parks mower, not a bush hog, I don't do the jobs with it I did with my toro. what I mean is I was cutting 4'' bermuda down to 3'' on a reg. cut park and it was loading up, like this was hard work for it. it was drinking 5 litres of diesel an hour, my 997 only drinks 2 litres an hour and will chew through anything, I normally mow at top speed on this park as it is so open and smooth, no chance of that with the side discharge, a slow jog it would tear grass and bog.

mechanics revved it up beside mine and reckon it revs as well, so can't understand why.....and sales dealer rode it day 1 and said it was struggling easily.

maybe it's an adjustment needed here n there as it wasn't pre delivered or tested, so maybe they will find the faults. maybe next test it will be fine, but what if it isn't and these are my only choices.....what mower from what I've described would ya choose?

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Right, I remember now, plus you need the rear discharge for safety while mowing parks and such right Tony? Well, then stick with the rear discharge, maybe get them to sign something to the extent of engine damage from overheating it is still their problem even after 2 year warranty is up? Not sure if that would fly but worth a try ehh? SheShovel, from what I have read I dont think Tony wants more stress from all of this sh!t, so maybe haggling with a corporate guy isnt what he wants at this point.

10. Tonyr

Thanks She, as I understand it deere isn't even involved with this, my dealer has had to buy this demo machine from another dealer, deere are very spiteful, they are not trying to fix the heating issues on my rd machine, but say mine is the only one clogging the rear screeen and over heating so fast, yet they won't send up one of these faultless machines.

Rear discharge was for safety mowing, but I could use side discharge by putting an OCDC on it for areas around cars etc.

What ever the deck I can easily work with both, so far tests has shown the side discharge will not give the same overheating, rear screen clogging issues in the same short time periods as the rear discharge, so SD wins that one.

If the test unit was not vibrating and was putting more power to the deck, then it would be a no brainer, SD.

My issue is....both machines have this bad vibration, either one will only get worse and break down, some choice hey....

but I must choose one, but which one?

I will wait until the mechanic calls next week to see what they found, my guess is nothing, but just a matter of wait n see, they might just get lucky and find a problem and it may be as sweet as.

I'm sorry to those who love deere, I've just had too much crap since buying a mower from them, I just can't share your love for this company or it's mowers, especially this model......like all new models they have bugs, but in my case they haven't tried to help.

Everyone else who can understand my point of view, my situation, thank you for that, thank you for the support.