1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would you do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RSK2, Apr 5, 2006.

1. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

hi guys

i have 6 commercial jobs i do for this guy :hammerhead: . It was about 6-8 hours to do all
    the work thats with drive time so i would have to drive 45mils to the
    job and 45mils to drive home. so last year i was charging him $490 for
    all the work but this year i had to charge him more because of the gas
    prices. the new bids were for $520 for this year. the guy said i am not paying
    you more money to mow my lawn but this guy makes 4.000.000 a year and
    he did not went to pay $20 more this year. did any of you guys ever
    have any one ever like this. what would you do about this thanks guys.
  2. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

dump him and forget about him
  3. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

there's diamonds in the dust hopefully in your own backyard.

try some local ads or flyers featuring "first 20 new accounts receive a free summer organic greening fertilizer & weed control treatment " ( milorganite and triamine spray are still cheap for beneficial win-win selling points, especially in a time-release 120 day benefit, demanding advance written notice within same timeframe of cancellation. ).
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What would I do?

Well, I would say... "well it's been nice doing business with you and I hate you feel that way. If I could argue prices with the gas station, you and I wouldn't have to be arguing over 20 bucks a year. But I don't have that option, so let me know if you change your mind"...

And then I would walk away and never look back.
  5. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Envy - Excellent reply. My words exactly...... :usflag:
  6. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

hope fully it an extra 30 bucks a cut. not a year. but even at the old rate you are still grossing 60-80 bucks per hour...which is not bad...but like you said fuel has gone up an extra dollar per gallon and youre asking for a 6% increase...

you are spending almost 2 hours driving, jsut think if you did 6-8 hours of local work how much wear and tear and milage woudl you save on your truck...Youd proably end up making more per hour if you let him go...
    It difficult to let someone go, especially if its 500 a cut or 500 a month....thans not chump change...
  7. RSK2

RSK2 LawnSite Member
    from PA

hi it was $490 a week to mow the lawn but this year was going up
    to $520 to do the lawns. when i would go do this work i would have to
    put $60-80 in gas for the truck and equipment just to get out there
  8. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Gas prices go up you gotta raise your prices, and if the guy is makinf 4 mil a year he should be able to understand!