What would you do?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by musselman, Apr 6, 2006.

1. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

I called a dealer to get a price on a new Super Z flex forks XR7 deck 28 EFI Kohler- quote 9,699. He calls back the next day and says one of his customers lost a big account and wants to sell a 2005 Super Z 27hp kohler, no flex forks or XR-7 deck and only 237 hours on it. He says its in great shape. 3,699 is alot to save. My problem is I always kick myself in the butt when I get something slightly less than what I want to save some money, but thats alot of money. What would you do? Is the XR-7 deck worth and 28 efi worth it (I can always trow flex forks on later) BTW I never worked with this dealer before.

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Take the deal, put the Flex Forks on, once you buy it.
    The deck will perform great, make sure the discharge opening is of the newer design and that it has the Fusion blades installed.
    The 27hp Kohler is a great engine.

Pj

3. musselman

musselman LawnSite Senior Member
    from utah

How do I know if the chute is of the newer design? Thanks for the advise.

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I had the exact same mower you are talking about and bought it in July 2005. The mower had the larger opening which was 13.25 " measured at the very top and the fusion blades, I put 139 hrs. on it before cutting season was over and my dealer had a man standing at his business waiting for the mower which he sold to him for $6100.00. I would say that is a good deal but the new 28 efi with the 66" XR-7 deck and flex forks has given me 20 to 25% more productivity. The difference is 9% for the extra 6" on the width of the deck and I am able to cut a lot more as fast as the mower will run because the flex forks and the deck design will now allow me to. I don't know how much you cut but the flex forks will make a difference in the way it rides and mows the only difference is the new deck design will keep up with the 15 mph mowing speed a lot better than the old deck. Every time I get on this new mower it still amazes me that it will mow perfectly at 15 mph and I will bet there is not another mower on the market that can make that statement. I had a 2004 27/60 and a 2005 27/60 and this new mower will out perform them by far if you have any questions feel free to ask.

5. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

It is wider.
    Hard to explain, but the back of the opening will be cut on a angle, instead of being stepped.
    Here is a picture of the wider opening on the 52" deck, the back angle would be similar.

Pj
    [​IMG]