1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by J&R Landscaping, May 16, 2006.

1. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I was talking to my accountant over the weekend and he was pushing an idea that I wasn't crazy about. We were talking about me looking at a larger walkbehind and a bigger trailer.

My accountant tells me that since the majority of my yards are smaller in size and have gates where a 36" wb can fit, she thinks I should just get a brand new 36" hydro wb instead of keeping the belt drive 36" that I have and getting a new or used 48" wb or maybe a 52" hydro turf tracer hp or a rider.

After thinking about it, she might have a point in thinkingI can keep just 1 small trailer and still get all my lawns done failry efficiently. (the biggest yard i have takes about 40 minutes to mow. When I was cutting the yard last year with my 52" wb, it would take about 20-25 minutes to mow.

All the yards I have except for 1 are almost completely flat and about 1/2 of them have gates. I've been debating in my head but what would you guys do?
  2. Landscapes-r-us

Landscapes-r-us LawnSite Member

Wow an accountant/LCO...
  3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I've been debating a similar question with my mowing truck, here's what I did. I have a 36" and needed a second WB I went through all my properties and looked at 2 criteria.
    1. would a 48" fit through the gate? if so how much time would it shave off?
    2. Would a 36" be more useful or the 48"

I added up the projected time with the 48" and compared it to the known time that it takes with 2 36" machines and that made my decision.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Why not focus on one size yard so you don't have this extra investment when starting. And what is wrong with the 36" belt driven WB?
  5. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

The belts!

I hate my 36" belt wb

6. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Belt drive sucks for primary mowers. I own a Toro T-Bar belt drive that I only use about 1.5 hours a week. That is 1.4 hours to much. I hate belt drives. They are the better buy though for just a few gated lawns a year. If all your lawns have gates, or you use a 36" on the front too then a hydro is a much better way to go.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The belt drive mower is ok but the keys inside the transmisson are starting to wear. The machine slips out of gear sometimes. Runs great, cuts great, stripes great!
  8. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

Why is an accountant helping make equipment decisions for a lco? Do you tell them what type of ledgers to use?
  9. Mac_Cool

Mac_Cool LawnSite Member

That's what real accountants do, help you make resource allocation decisions. An accountant can tell you if you really have enough business to justify that fancy smancy new mower or if you should get off your tail and get some new accounts. You can buy software to keep the books, an accountant is not a calculator.
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Then something is wrong, buy 2 brand-new 50-dollar belts and another brand-new transmission belt and put them on and tighten that trans-belt about like your car's alternator belt and you should be good for at least a year.

All I have is belt-driven, I can buy 20 of those 50-dollar belts before I cover the cost of the hydro and I might break one or two / year so it will be 10 years before I'm up to the hydro in parts.

Granted, it took over 2 thousand yards before I learned how not to have belt problems, has a lot to do with how hard you push that Wb when you're on the velke, stepping off at the right times helps a LOT.

Far as the accountant, soon as she gets out there and covers the next thousand yards I'll listen but in the meantime, start thinking about getting out of those small yards and into a 48" Wb anyhow :laugh: