What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by George777, May 26, 2001.

1. George777

George777 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

For those who have been in this business for a while, what would you do differently? The reason I’m asking this question is because I feel many may benefit from your advice.
    I have learned a great deal from many members of this site. I believe I could learn more if I know what you would have done differently.
    Thank you for your responses, because your input makes me and others reevaluate our business and try to learn from your mishaps.

2. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Actually, nothing! Not that everything always run perfectly, but all the major decisions turned out to be the right ones (thank God!).

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

think a degree in buisiness administration would
    be it instead of ged.truth is how far yougo and where depends on
    what you set your sites on.if i could chance anything it would be
    to better focus on goals , and setting specific goals to start with.

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would have made sure that I charged for my time accordingly and not said "Oh we'll get that for you dont worry."

If I had treated my profession like a business and not like a hobby from the beginning then I would be that much farther ahead.

People need to pay us for our expertise not just like some grown up teenager still mowing their lawns!:rolleyes:

Kris

5. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have charge for EVERY ounce of work we performed ....Not feel as if ...."I should do this ...as they may cancel or well this is only going to take me 15 minutes" :->

6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldnt have bought so much junk thinking that it will do for now.

7. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Hindsight is 20/20, but I would like to have found my niche sooner than I did. When I first started, I did all kinds of odd landscape slash maintenance jobs. I finally feel as though my business will prosper now that I have narrowed my business to just sod, aerations, and aeration/seeding. The landscaper I worked for during my college years constantly was telling me that if I were going to stay in this feild that I had to find a niche. I believed him, but when I went out on my own I took all types of jobs to stay afloat. So that's what I would do differently. I have a lot of different hedge trimmers, weed eaters, stick edgers, 21" mowers, etc. that I will never use again. At the same time, I don'tdwell on it too much. In fact, it is kinda fun learning and trying something new. That's one of the rewards I get from this job.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

WELL SAID kutnkru!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. gogetter

gogetter Guest

I know your question was directed towards those that have been around a while, but thought I'd chime in anyway.
    I would change when I got started!
    I'm 32 and just started this season. However it's something that I've wanted to do since I was 20. Tried to get a friend/co-worker to start up with me. He never wanted to. I didn't have the capital to start myself.
    So, 12 years later my job moves our department further then I cared to drive everyday. I left and took my profit sharing and the rest is history.
    Thank you Lawnsite.com and it's contributors for all your help and inspiration.