What would you do?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ABeautifulCutAboveInc., Aug 14, 2006.

1. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc. LawnSite Member

I had a lady call me this morning. She had told me she was looking for someone to pick weeds and trim her bushes. I had asked her, "Mam, do you have someone taking care of your yard?" She told me that she had the same guy mowing her yard since she had moved to Florida and she was going to keep him. My response was, "Mam, I will only offer those services to my customers that are on maintenance contracts as package deals." I asked why doesn't she have her lawn maintenance gentleman that she's had for years take care of it? She told me she didn't ask, which is a pile of bull s***. I told her her best bet was to go with the man she already has. Sounds like to me her contracted man won't do it and trying to pawn junk off on me. What do you guys think? Do you think I made the right decision?:confused:
  2. GameDawg33

GameDawg33 LawnSite Member

I would of done the same thing, no way without lawn maitenance.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Oh I call this one throwing icing on a cake of crap, they got a bunch of booolsheeet work needs doing so they throw in something nice and easy to make it more appealing (as if it's not so bad), that's what this bit is all about, see she really should've said it like this:

I need someone to PULL THE WEEDS and trim the bushes...

Although it's not 100 percent for sure that this is the deal, either way you look at it, it's a crap job she evidently doesn't dare ask her regular Lco about as she obviously knows better, the fact that she never asked may indeed be quite true, that's not to say it didn't cross the mind just to be immediately thrown away as a useless thought.

So they call someone else... sigh
  4. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Perfect Response Imo Good Job!

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

She is price shopping-- DO NOT be the low guy-- you did good..
  6. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i wouldn't touch it either, you did the right thing.
  7. FLAhaulboy

FLAhaulboy LawnSite Senior Member

smart move. i used to do these jobs where there current mower only mowed. he is doing the easy work-mowing, and is smart to not do the other time consuming work.
  8. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

Thanks for the responses. I know I was right on the money about how I handled it. Posting it on Lawn Site to hear other peoples responses has helped me know I did the right thing. Sometimes when you screw up on a bid, you know right after you leave you F****d up! I'm learning from my mistakes not to repeat them. Only by failing you learn! Sometimes it cost money. Wait a minute, everytime you fail it cost money! LOL:clapping:
  9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Same thing happened to me. She just wanted me to do her weeding and trimming. I told her I'd be more than happy to do the weeding and trimming ONLY if she hires me for full lawn maintenance. She said she's had this guy for years(the 1 that works in flip flops) and doesnt want to give him up. Well Ive been on full lawn maintenance with her for 3 weeks now :) it worked out for me.
  10. ABeautifulCutAboveInc.

Yeh, that's what I told her. I'm glad it worked out for you ChadsLawn. I'll have to see if she calls back, maybe, maybe not. Did you start her weeding and trimming before she took you on to do her lawn full time? Or after. I wasn't going to play the game she was playing. I know what her motives were. She had no intentions on taking me on full time to do her lawn. So I wasn't going to put myself in that position to do the garbage work! Not that I mind doing that, ONLY for full maintenance contracts, no exceptions. I'm little by little, learning from my screw ups. That's business.:usflag: