What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clallen03, Aug 18, 2006.

1. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a client that complained that my trimmer man put three cracks in the siding while trimming around his house. The siding its about 1 1/2 feet off the ground where my trimmer man trims. I asked my guy about the cracks on the house and he said that he doesn't lift the trimmer up that high so he knows that he didn't hit the siding with the trimmer and I believe him.

I spoke to the customer and I told him that Im not sure if we did the damage or not but if he gets me quote on the repairs my insurance company will take care of it for him.

During this time this client had $100 balance that was due a couple of days later. When the due date came I hadn't received a his payment. I called and spoke with him about it and he said he would send that payment in he was late because he was out of town. He stressed that he still have not got an estimate on the repairs yet. I told him as soon as he gets that estimate my insurance company will take care of him but he still has to send in his payment for the services that was done on his lawn. This was a month ago and I haven't heard from him because he wont answer my calls and he hasn't sent in his payment.

What would you'll do? Im not going to damage his turf or doing anything crazy. Im thinking I will just take the $100 as the cost of repairs for his siding and just dont deal with him anymore.

There was no contract in place.

What do you'll think?

2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i would get a piece of siding and replace it myself and agressivly persue the balance due. siding is easy to replace.

3. subs1000w

subs1000w LawnSite Member

i would forget about it hes obvously done with your service

4. saw man

saw man LawnSite Bronze Member
    from utah

I would charge him late fees and take him to court if he does not pay.

5. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I would not mow without a contract.

6. Thirdpete

Thirdpete LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

post-of-the-year

7. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Always look for spots on this stuff when you first take a new customer , it deteriorates from U.V. rays . and will dang near crumble in your hand . If it was me and i believed my trim guy ,i would drop this guy like a hot potato and chalk up the 100 bucks to experiance , if your insurance pays to fix it your deductable is higher than 100 bucks right?

8. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Would not mow without a contract huh? Well don't make plans to move to east texas unless you are going into another line of work !

9. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

or rural sc

10. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

If it was me, I would persue the balance as if the siding wasn't an issue. As he stated, he was going to ge the estimate. Whatever you would normally do with a non-payer, go ahead start doin it!