what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Frontstreetlawns, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Frontstreetlawns

Frontstreetlawns LawnSite Member

heres the story, i have a big commercial account that i take care of and love it, there are about 5 or 6 owners and the president and the secretary love my work. about 2 months ago the secretary called me and said that in one of the owners cubby holes he want it all cleaned up and the japanese maple pruned, i said its not the right time but i can do it lightly and she said ok, on top of that there was a miscommunication. so i pruned the wrong tree.
    2 weeks ago i see that a cuby hole was cleaned and pruned, so i talked to the secretary and she said that this owner wasnt happy and wanted to switch, i told her it was a miscommunication and that the way the person trimed the tree there is a good possibilty that the tree would get a diesese. i dont really know how to handle this bc i love this acount, and dont want to loose it. but i dont want any hobbiest taking care of a portion of my account.( i found out he was a hobbyist) i charge them hourly so its not like they can bicker about the price. so what would you all do? i wont do bad work and i dont want to loose the account

2. 2nd Chance

2nd Chance LawnSite Member
    from Texas

CARRY SOME TAPE WITH YOU , GIVE IT TO THEM ,LET THEM MARK THE TREE THEN GO BACK AND LOOK .IF IT'S TRHE WRONG TIME TO PRUNE TELL THEM , IF THEY DON'T ACCEPT IT AND YOU PRUNE IT AND IT ENDS UP DISEASED OR DEAD YOU'LL LOSE THE ACCOUNT ANYWAY.THIS IS WHERE I MIGHT GET A LITTLE PISSED AND TELL THE GUY TO STAY AWAY FROM MY ACCOUNT , ON THE OTHER HAND I HAVE RUN ACROSS PEOPLE WHO HAVE NO IDEA WHEN TO PRUNE OR NOT AND LOST ACCOUNTS OVER IT BUT I KNOW IN MY HEART I DID THE RIGHT THING , IT COST ME $$$$$ BUT IT DID NOT COST ME MY REPUTATION OR MY INTEGRITY ............ allCAPS DIDN'T MEAN TO SCREAM AT YOU -GOOD LUCK

3. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

Yea we hate that to when people call and ask for bush or trre trimming and we tell them that where sorry but it's not a good time to trim that bush/tree yet but in about two months it will be ok.Usaully it doesn't really need it so we tell them if they really want it they have to sign a letter saying that we explained what could happen with trimming this early or late, and that we are not responsible. or they want a bush trimmed back like to foot but anymore than 3-5 inches and it will be bare and brown evergreen style bushes that is then they either get upset becuase we won't trim or upset after when we had them show us exaclty how far back they wanted trimmed and we told them it would be bare but you know how the homeowner/landscaping experts are. It's enough to drive you crazy.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We have several commericial accounts that bring in guys to do work that we can do, and do well. Everybody has somebody that they trust or want to give a favor to. We find that when a customer wants something done you tell them carefully if it is not the correct time but then do it! People want instant satisifaction when they want something. What hurt most is when you find out what the guy got paid and it is a big amount.

5. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like you have already "lost" the acct to me.

6. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

If they want to go LET THEM GO........I stopped worring about losing accounts a long time ago. You just gotta have enough work where it doesn't matter either way. ppl. are fickle and could care less about you and your company, Just let them go and move on. For the most part there is plenty of work out there