what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Aug 23, 2006.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

you get a call from a potential small commercial account for an estimate. you arrive and look over the place decide that you want to charge 80 dollars a week. this is good money for you. before you get the price out, the guy tells you that all he can afford is 100 dollars and no more. what do you do? stick with your original 80 bid that he doesn't yet know about, or do you jack it up to 100 knowing that he's comfortable with that price? come on everybody lets hear what you'd do....:waving:
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

$100, he just said what he's willing to pay. Of course I would explain what a great deal he was getting at that price:)
  3. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

"Sir, you're in luck I have you quoted at $95 a week."
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Take what he can afford and give the work for it, as well. That means going the extra mile and giving him extra services where they can be used. This could be anything from keeping the lot clean when you are there, keeping the gutters free from weeds, to a whole host of other things. The bottom line is, it is a great chance to make some extra money while you are there...just don't take advantage of it. Be honest, and have integrity. It will come back to you because keeping this place up right, - you will come up looking like gold.
  5. Post Mowing

Post Mowing LawnSite Member

Im with you do a little extra
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I was thinking along the same line as Joe
  7. lawnwizards

this is a little off the subject, but do you all take work that doesn't make any money? ex: i just accepted a trimming job for $17 every 2 weeks for this elderly lady. my father in law mows the yard and i'm gonna trim it up for her eow. it looks like it might take about 30 minutes to trim and i took it anyway because i want to be treated good when i'm old like rod and mac:laugh:
  8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Smart azz kids (like Randy)...need to show some respect to their elders (did I say Randy?) :laugh:
  9. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see how you can make any $ spending half an hour & charging $17.00. I wouldn't touch it
  10. lawnwizards

did you read the cliff notes to my post evergreenedmond?:dizzy: