what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by justanotherlawnguy, Nov 7, 2006.

1. justanotherlawnguy

justanotherlawnguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Went for a lawn estimate the other day and noticed the yard had just been cut. I had a price in my head, wrote up the estimate and went to leave it on the door and noticed that the current LCO left Octobers invoice on the door as well. I couldnt help but sneak a peek to see what they were currently paying.

I was floored to see an invoice for $105/month. I was thinking $165 (my prices are usually a little higher then most, but not out of the ballpark),
    I expected to see at least $135/month.

I didnt even leave the estimate, after seeing what they were currently paying I figured they were just price shopping. Cheap a$$ people. And the thing is the yard was just mulched, all hedges WELL maintained and the grass beautifully cut.

Bottom line: the yard was beautiful and I wasnt going to underbid the current LCO.

Would you have looked at the invoice in the door? How could you not is my answer....

2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Was this price for every week or every other. Even at EOW that is still cheap and I thought my area sucked, geezz! And I guess I would have to looked at the invoice myself just to see if I was in the ballpark. These folks already have someone doing a great job for that price and want it cheaper,do you really want these kind of folks?

3. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would have left it. Even though the current provider was doing a good job...in your opinion, there could be other circumstances pushing the client to change providers. I have ran across this in the past, and clients used reasons such as: tired of his bad attitude, want a smaller mower on the property, looks trashy on my lawn, takes no pride in appearance of equipment, does not accept charge cards, and...."YOU" were highly recommended by my friends.

4. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

I probly would have looked just to see. I wouldv'e lefted for the reasons stated above ^^^

5. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

I definately would have looked to see. I try to get as much info as possible on any yard I put a bid on, and if you can find out what they are already paying, then that is a huge advantage in my opinion.

6. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I would have, Do you think your competition would have done the same thing? It would have been a different story if you were going to underbid after you saw the invoice.

7. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    leave your quote even if it is higher in price ,you travelled there did u not .If u gain from this ,great but do not hold your breath you win some u loose some. BUT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES NEVER NEVER LOW BALL. Customer maybe price shopping ,but in this case u do not want them OR they maybe diss satisfied with current contractor 4 some other reason.

tomo:waving:

8. parkeeee

parkeeee LawnSite Member

They don't call me snoopy for nothing. I would have looked and left my quote.

9. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

Yes, I would have read the other LCO's bill, and I would have left my quote, but I would never adjust my price up or down based on my competition.

10. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

Leave them the quote and a bill for 25 or 35 bucks or so. They may have just wasted your time...but yer gettin payed.