1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LB1234, Sep 3, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Okay, in addition to our landscape/hardscaping we perform landscape maintenance services (including lawn care) for about 25 customers.

One of those customers who has been with us for seven years has stopped utilizing us for any 'extras' and we just maintain his lawn now. He claims we are getting to expensive and all that stuff. No big deal. He is a good customer and always pays on time and never complains about anything.

He is getting a front paver walkway put it. At first I was upset that he didn't even contact me for a quote...but after I took one look at the installation I was glad I didn't get called cause there is no way I could even do what they were doing. Its bad when my partner drives up to me on the other mower and starts pointing and laughing and saying that job will fail in a year.

First thing we noticed is they are using stone dust for the bedding and they aren't even screeding it!! Its just spread out. It appears (although I can't prove it) that they compacted the stonedust cause it doesn't move when you touch it. Upon further inspection it appears there base isn't even 4" in depth. I think the homeowner is lucky if its 2". Then the overdig for the walkway is about 2" maybe less in some places. I have no idea how they are going to place any type of edge restraint in their...I'm fearfull that they are going to do the ol' mix a little mortor and spread a thin layer over the base. It really is pathetic. Overall the job itself is looking good but I'm fearfull that in a few years they are going to have a ocean for their front walk and blow outs on a lot of the edges.

So the question is, what would you do... Would you say something to the homeowner and point this stuff out or would you just take the opinion of that's his problem let him deal with it later? I'm really not sure what to do cause I don't want it to sound like sour grapes.

Your opinions are appreciated. I took some pictures and I'll try and post them tomorrow.
  2. copeblk

copeblk LawnSite Member

don't say anything and in a year when they ask you to fix it... charge double.