1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

What would you do!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf King, Nov 8, 2001.

1. Turf King

Turf King LawnSite Member
    from Ozarks

I have a Grasshopper 720K with a 48in deck.This was my first ztr and has served its purpose verey well.I have taken on 3 apartment complexes this year and need a bigger mower. Should I just order a bigger deck or buy something else.I also need a bagger! The new deck would run around 1600.00 and the bagger about 1200.00. Thanks for any suggestions.
  2. tslawn

tslawn LawnSite Member

Do you have other mowers and some employees?
  3. Turf King

from Ozarks

Yes, 36in walk behind and 1 helper
  4. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

If cost effective,get a 60 inch lazer with bagger and maybe a helper.
  5. Turf King

from Ozarks

What do you think about replacing the grasshopper with a walk behind and sulky! Will it be more effective or not? My wife and I went up to Kansas City last month and about all I seen in the overland park area was walk behinds.What do you guys think!
  6. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you are going to be cutting alot of hard to get to spot because of terrain, or if you dont have alot of flat wide area mowing to be done I wouldnt downsize to a wb.

I personally swear by a wb, but if you have a Z and need to upgrade that then you should stick with whats worked for you in the past.

If you think that a wb with a larger deck+sulky can give you what you need to maximize your operations than by all means save the clout especially this time of year. If you think that it wouldnt be the best thing for you then dont.

I also would not purchase a piece of equipment just for your new accounts. If you are kicked to the curb in 45 days next spring - you will have an awful lot of selling to do to get enough clients to justify your loss.

Just my .02
  7. Turf King

from Ozarks

I was kind of thinking the same thing about new equipment.Next year will be my second year for mowing the apartments.Most of my work is not wide open spaces, so you are probably right a walk behind probably wont do me much justice in this situation.
    Dont get me wrong I would love to have a new ztr but I dont want to part with the $$$ right now at this time of year. I think Im leaning toward up-grading the one I have now. Thanks for youre guys help. I hope I can contribute info on some of youre problems someyime.
  8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The cost of upgrading your grasshopper seems small compared to other options. I think I would look into this.