What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CLC, Nov 19, 2001.

1. CLC

CLC LawnSite Member

What would you do if you have a account and every time they contact you your not home and they get all bent out of shape if your a day late calling them?
    What would you do?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on how you define late. They should understand, that as a business, you have hours that you work. Right now, as we're seeing less daylight, it really shouldn't be a problem as like I, for instance, get in no later than 6 or 7. Even in the summer, however, I would never call back past 10 pm. Although, I do recieve calls that late and later. The main thing is, as a business, if the call came in after a certain time, then it should just be returned the next morning. That's usually the best way to handle it.

3. Cell phone with vibrating battery for when you are on your mower. Get calling party pays that way if they really want to call you they will pay for it.

4. Craig Turf Management

Craig Turf Management LawnSite Senior Member

My wife runs the administrative side of our business. More often than not, she is in the office during business hours. When a client or potential client calls, she will do her best to handle their needs. If it's something that requires my attention, she will ask them a good time for me to return their call. If it's a need that needs to be handled right away, She will page or call me on Nextel. If she is not in the office, our voice mail will pick up offering the caller the option to leave a message. Our voice mail greeting offers my pager number if the caller has a message of an urgent nature. This works well for us. I don't give out my cell number to any of my clients though.
    Please whatever you do, return all calls promptly. Be a reliable lawn care service provider and break the stereotype.
    Bill!

5. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I agree Bill, call back ASAP change their perception:)

Rick

6. Hello:

About the only calls I received from my customers is if they were having a Special Occasion & they wanted me to come by a Little bit earlier or a Little Later!

There is no way in this World a Customer would have my cell phone number, why would this be neccessary in the Lawn Service Business? Yes, they can call my office number & Leave a Message, Like Everybody else in America does & in most cases I would contact them the next day. :)

I do not know of anykind of Emergency in this Business besides Unknown Property Damage, Death in family - Wanting Lawn Cleaned up next day or if their Lawn was missing & they thought I might have Borrowed it or loaned it to Someone? LOL

If it's to the Point where your getting Numerous Phone calls from same customer, figure it in the Cost of doing Business with them.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassmaster-exactly.My business is not large by any means but the only real customer phone contact is them calling to have me do other things. I see them on occasion at their homes and that's about it. I call them promptly the next morning or even the same day when they leave a message. Not a big deal as far as this being a problem.
    Lately after I read a post the first thing I do is check out the thread starters profile and that sometimes gives me an understanding of the situation. Sorry, but it's true.

8. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

<b>GrassMaster</b> some small business owners have a cell number as their business line. We are one of those companies that do that at this time.

We also have specials advertised on our invoices so we do have regular customers calling with questions about those specials.

We have office hours where we will be in the office each each day. Our voicemail explains our hours of operation and office hours so if anyone needs us they can call during those office hours.

9. Hello LoneStarLawn:

In that case there's not much you can do. :)

What I was basically getting at is I want as Little Interaction as Possible with the Customer. There's not enough extra to be to the point where you have Continual Conversations with them. About 2 or 3 times a year is enough! :)

I've had some that about drove me Crazy Calling on Sundays (The Older Cat Ladies). I don't see the need in Customer Communication in this Business that much.

I always notified them in advance about different Seasonal Services at Billing Time. Asked them to just check the service they needed & if they had any questions, I would be glad to discuss it with them?

The Less Communication the Less problems. That's Just My Thoughts?

10. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I would think that if our clients know that when we cannot be reached that we are in the field. Then if they didnt hear from us the next morning they know there would be a message acknowledging receipt of their call and we will contact them later that evening.

This way they will either call you back and relay what they wanted or they will wait for your call late in the evening when you should be home.

I too agree that many smaller outfits should use the cell numbers this way they can keep in touch with clients during lunch and dinner breaks.

We offer a service and need to have an open line of communication with clients. I cannot see any reason why people should not have a courtesy call/message from us within at least 8 hrs - hopefully sooner.

Just my .02
    Kris