1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

what would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Apr 6, 2008.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

say you had 10 customers on one stop. you get to your 10th one and they come out and tell you that due to extreme hardships they couldnt pay anymore than $25 for their grass. they are usually $35. what would you do? would you tell them you cant go that low or would you still keep it and risk them telling their neighbors that you came down in your price. or would you ask them to keep quiet? so, what would you guys do?

2. Ronniecoleman

Ronniecoleman LawnSite Member

Tell them you cut the front yard for that price.
  3. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Depends on the area, are they a good cust, or a great one. do they drive a BMW, or a GEO. If i did, i would ask them not to discuse it with neighbors.
  4. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

try a 12 month billing rate in which they pay a set fee for 12 months to cut the cost.
  5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

id maybe offer to split the difference and not edge anymore to cut the time down
  6. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Nope, would not do it for one dollar less, my minimum is my minimum and I will not budge off of it. Some folks may be telling you the truth and some may be lying about it. Also if the other nine find out they will expect the same. Don't let another persons poverty put you in povery. Sorry if that sounds cruel but that is the way it is. Do you think that Exxon or Mobile give a **** that I am having trouble paying my bill and could they sell me gas for a buck a gallon cheaper!:laugh:
  7. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I'd figure they are heading down the road. Let's face it if $10.00 matters they are not the type of customer your business needs. You need folks that can pay. Are they telling the gas station dowqn the road that they will pay $2.00/gallon. Your business will be built on customers that have the $$. Not those that want to steal out of your pocket for their convenience.

That said... giving people help or a break is o.k. You just need to decide how YOU will handle the situations that YOU will face.
  8. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

this is just a hypothetical question. it doesnt pertain to me.

so, if you tell them no, would you be worried that they might bad mouth you to the other 9 customers? i mean, some people are like that.

or what if they were a customer for say 5 years, always paid on time and never complained. always had ice cold lemonade waiting for you in case you got thirsty.
  9. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

how long of a customer, and what kind of customer....do they buy alot of extras from you...
  10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

maybe try 30