What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sym, May 7, 2008.

?

What would you do?

1. Pony up the $400

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Compromise to $200

3 vote(s)
    4.1%
  3. Compromise to $100 since you already dropped $300 of the asking price

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Tell him oh well, it was 'as is' and I am not responsible for any repairs after sale nor refunds

63 vote(s)
    86.3%
  5. Never call him back and hope he doesn't show up to my house.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Sym

Sym LawnSite Member

I sold my old (2005) Husqvarna z48 in. 17 hp kaw. It was all beat up and smoked so I put it in the paper for $1500 hoping to walk away with $1000. It needed a pulley and burned some oil and that is all I knew about what was wrong with the mower. I am by no means, a mechanic.

I sold it for $1200 last thursday. This is, of course, all he said he had on him and since it was more that the $1000 I was hoping for, I took it and tossed in some extra blades since my new mower uses longer/different blades.

The guy calls me today saying that the rings need to be replaced and basically the engine is shot. This is what his mechanic told him. So to replace the motor, he wants me to pay $400 towards the engine and 'do him right' So basically, I would only get $800 in the end which my mechanic says is 'ridiculous'

I told him eveything I knew that was wrong with it and he never mentioned anything about calling me back if something was wrong with it and asking for money, basically 'As is'.

what would you do?

2. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Unless you misled him on the purchase and didn't tell him everything that was wrong with the mower you owe him nothing. He did purchase it as is and that means repairs are his problem. However if he was purchasing this mower and told you he was going to use it for his business or yard and you let him believe it would be ok then I think you should give him back at least $200 since you said your were hoping to get $1000.00 with all the problems the mower had.

3. LedgedaleLawn

LedgedaleLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Hah, I would ask if he is kidding first. Then I would tell him that he needs to be more careful when buying things. Then I would tell him to get lost. Do you want me to call him??

4. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

"AS IS" Means just that, if you did not offer a warrenty to him then that guy is screwed. But if you wanted to be nice then tell him $100.00 is all you have in your pocket and thats all your willing to offer. Other then that buyer beware.....

5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

This was a private sale between individuals and is considered by law as an as is sale. The party doing the buying has the responsibility to check the mower over and even bring a mechanic with him if he wishes.

What would I do ? Put the $1,200.00 in the bank and let him worry with the rings himself. You did him right when he claimed he was only carrying $1,200.00.

Nosmo

6. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him to piss off, you don't owe him a thing, and like you said you told him before hand that it had problems.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

the buyer should of had it checked before he bought.......it is his problem

8. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

Im not judge judy, but I wouldn't be suprised if you knew the mower wasn't doing great. That being said you dont owe him a damn thing. Thats what I would expect from a $1000 zero turn, and thats why I would never buy one.

9. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

If you told him it was smoking continuously and he didn't know it needed rings, he's a sucker. He should have asked someone who knows engines.

10. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, you don't owe him anything !!