What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Finger, May 11, 2008.

1. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

It's been raining on and off over the past four days. Everyone is backed up. Do you guys cut on Sunday (the Lord's Day)

Also to make matters worse it's Mothers' Day. They are calling for more rain. Do you guys get in three to four yards before it rains on Sunday? :walking:

Love the rain though

2. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

i never did in 10 years. its part of this business. you just do the best that you can with mon-sat. here in mass its actually against the law. they call it the blue laws. no contractors that make noise can work. thats not exactly how its written, but thats what it is.

3. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Wish I could have mowed here, as I'm getting behind, but it rained a bunch yesterday, and I don't have anything where I'm sure I won't get stuck. Going to try tomorrow afternoon and hope for the best.

4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. I've been in business for 17 years and don't like to work on Sundays but today I had to go out and get one done.

5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

Never, Never on a Sunday. It just aint right and if a customer don't understand the no Sunday rule, I don't need them as a customer.
    Look at Chic Fil A. he never opens on Sunday and it sure don't hurt his business.

6. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes on Sunday, never mothers day. If I do work on Sunday its one that im shure no one is at.

7. jsw2008

jsw2008 LawnSite Senior Member

Never have, never will. Sunday is for church and family. I don't think any of my customers would even let me work in their yard on a Sunday, and that's the way it should be.

8. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

Not even if you are three days behind?

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I mowed 3 commercial places and 4 schools today.

During the school year, we mow the 3 elementary schools and Jr. High on the weekends so we're not messing around with classes / recess / phy. ed.

Guess what, yesterday my 6 year old had T-ball practice, then it rained all day.

That means mow today.

We were going to go out to eat for Mother's Day today, but instead we went last night since it was raining.

It's the nature of the beast. If it's raining during the week, you mow on the weekend.

I have (6) 14 hour days of work to do. If I don't use the Sunday for catch up if needed, it'll never be caught up.

10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

never on sundays..especially today, mothers day...i would think some clients would get upset if you showed up on sunday to maintain their property. if i am behind, i would work later on saturday and later on monday to catch up, unless you have commerical accounts, then do them on sundays... sometimes if i'm 4 or 5 days behind on a account, i would just skip it that week and get back on schedule the next week. do what you got to do...the client will understand..thats my experience