what would you do?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lawnwizards, May 14, 2008.

?

what would you do?

1. would you eat the cost of the extra mulch?

21 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. would you add it in the bill and not inform the customer?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. would you report it to the customer but still charge them?

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  4. would you dock paco's pay to make up for the mulch? lol

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if you were doing a mulch job and you quoted a set price and when it came time to finish the job you had to order more mulch than previously expected?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i notice alot of people just eating it. why? its only an estimate that you are giving. there should be room for error.

3. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

With a mulch job there really shouldn't be any guestimating. If you measure correctly, then you know exactly how much you need, and if you are really smart, you will add 5% more to the total, just to cover your butt. When I give a mulch estimate, it's the price they will pay, not the price I am thinking they are going to pay. I might be able to understand with other types of landscaping jobs, but with mulch, there's really no excuse for not being spot on with your estimate. Just as a note, I've never had to eat any estra costs for more mulch.

4. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know why more people don't take that approach. There is no excuse for under estimating if you know what you're doing. Now, if the customer changes up the job somewhat, then that's a different story

5. I'd bring it back before the customer. Wheather they're at fault or I was.

I'd think they'd want the job done properly rather than stretch the mulch to cover the job.

And I'm not going to gouge other customers to compensate for my screw up on that customer. The problem stays where it originates.

If it were a yard or two, sure I wouldn't bother the customer. The example said "order more mulch". That'd be another 10 yards, and no I'm not covering that cost. I'll admit my mistake first.

I'd rather someone thought me stupid about how I conducted business than to actually do something that was stupid.

6. coolbrze

coolbrze LawnSite Member

If you put it that way, eat the cost. Woops - your bad! :)

7. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I charge by the yard. If someone puts me on the spot and wants me to "eye" an estimate I will tell them what I think and then tell them if it is more the cost will be X per yard. I tell them that they can also put a limit on it. This is helpful for the people that want some here and a little here and if you have extra maybe here.

8. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

You quoted a SET PRICE rather than an estimate. If more mulch was needed it should be up to you to absorb the addditional cost.

Nosmo

9. Ford2000

Ford2000 LawnSite Member

Order more Mulch.I'll bet anything that if you explain to the customer he's going to say,oh well order more mulch.

If you need it to complete the job order it.

10. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Do you charge the customer less if you use less mulch than expected? I bet I know the answer to that! Mulch is cheap, you should have have plenty of room to buy some additional mulch and still make a good profit.

I agree, measure, and you will have few issues with this. I add a small percentagte also. On the hard to measure jobs, give yourself plenty of head room.