What Would You Do????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagman, Dec 17, 2001.

1. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 32 belt drive it needs a little work its had a long hard life I bought from a pretty big landscape co. its a 1992 heres what it needs spindle job, on/off switch ive been pulling the plug and have got shocked a couple of times in the rain, it need the belt cover, new bag the bag i have now is not for this mower, new rear tire, it also needs all new belts, the paint is really bad but theres really nothing i can do about that, I bought this mower for $600 and its gonna cost about $1200 the guy said it would be like a new mower a new scag 32 runs $2000-$2500 should i fix the old or buy the new

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Buy new.

3. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

buy a new one.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If the cost to repair the mower is 50% or more of the price of a new mower you usually just go ahead and buy the new mower.

I am a little confused as to why it costs so much money to do the little bit of repairs that you have to do though.

Belts should run you $100, new spindles would be $100.00, On/Off switch should be around $10.00, a new tire is $25.00 and I don't know how much the cover costs but you should be able to get it for around $100.00. Don't include the cost of the bag in the repairs because you would have to buy one for the new mower anyway.

That only comes to $335.00. Where is the rest of the $1200?

If he's going to make the repairs he's charging you $865 in labor. Tell him you don't begrudge him making a living and a profit but he doesn't have to make it all on you. The total labor time on everything should be under 3 hours for an experienced mechanic. That would work out to $288 an hour. The in-shop labor rate around me is $65.

5. SCAPEASAURUSREX

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

That is definatly high $1200.00

Most all of the repairs you mentioned are pretty straight forward.. I would just do it yourself over the winter.. Tear the thing apart and cleanit up , repaint it and replace all those parts that need .. Incl the cost of the mahcine you should have a nice mower ready to go for not more than $1000.00 Good luck with it..
    There are quite a few mail order places you could get the parts from inexpensivly.. like landscapers supply, Mow more, and billions of others.. Just search on the net..

6. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

again buy new... its hard to put a price on what its "gonna" cost to make it run like a new one..

7. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

8. groundsguy1970

groundsguy1970 Banned

There's not much to belt drivesand they will run forever given the welds don't break off.....I also think that $1200 (US?) is too much you could repair 2 for that....:)

9. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a new one. Look at it this way...now you have a parts mower. Even if all parts aren't still the same, you will find useful pieces when you need them most.