What would you do?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dunlaps LawnCare, May 20, 2008.

1. Dunlaps LawnCare

Dunlaps LawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

We have a customer who wants his yard cut at an inch and a half!! Would you cut it this short? All of our other lawns are cut at 3". I don't know that I feel comfortable cutting his lawn at this height. Whoever cut it last year severly burned it. I'm just looking for you guys, opinions.
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The simple answer is, I'm sorry I can not do that.
  3. wnccutter

wnccutter LawnSite Member

Sure, I'd do it.

I'm assuming Fescue?

But first I would have him sign a statement outlining:
    1. You (mower guy) do not recomend it.
    2. It is not species recommended.
    3. You (mower guy) are not responsible for the clippings unless he wants to pay the extra $$$$$.

I'm serious. I'd write it on one of those carbon type forms so you and he would have a copy of it.
  4. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

I cut one of my properties at 2"...at the owner's request. However, he keeps his lawn irrigated and also requires that the clippings be bagged and a 21" mower be used...so there's really no scalping (as there might be with a wider mower), and there's no clipping residue left over. He likes it smooth like a golf course...

Does this fella irrigate regularly? Even if he does, 1.5" is too short, I think. Why does he want it that short? Is he hoping the grass won't need to be cut as often?

I keep all my other customers at at least 3".
  5. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

As for me, I would decline this request. I don't want to screw up the blades hitting tree roots, bumps, dips, sprinkler heads, and things like that.

I agree with the previous poster that if you take this on he should sign some type of liability release for the results that are likely to happen.
  6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I would first ask him why then explain that northern cool season fescue is not supposed to be cut at that height and see what he has to say. If he still wants it at that height then make him sign a waiver that you are not responsable if the lawn dies or gets damaged due to cutting to low.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Agreed. If you need to, get a book from a library to show him cutting requirements for different grasses.

If he insists on it, Up-Sell. Tell him you can kill off his yard, plant some zoysia (SP?) grass, and use a reel mower to cut it as close as a putting green. Give him an estimate, including the cost to re-grade the yard and roll it out as smooth as a baby's behind.

Then hopefully he gets your point and lets you mow it correctly.
  8. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

you as the professional lawn care provider will look bad. no matter what he or you say people driving by will think it is your call. i like you were in the same boat when i started. when i partnered up with a body he say one of our lawns and said HOLD IT WHAT THE @#$& ARE YOU DOING . i told him hey that's what she wants and she pays for it . so no big deal. my body with really no experience in lawn care goes up to her door and tells her what we can do as far as the height. she listened and let us raise it. ever sense then we agreed to keep the mowers up higher or we don't mow. it took a little to adjust to but i'm glad we did. the public looks @ us in a different way when we do what the homeowner fills is right instead of what is right
  9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

The good news is that if you do it you will have one extra yard to renovate in the fall.
  10. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

nope! no way! too short..sound like he wants it short so you don't have to cut it that often...i have this client now with zoysia, when i first started cutting the lawn, it was at 4 inches and he tells me now he wants it at 2 inches...i told him he will kill it. i said the lowest i will go is 3 inches. he said fine. i go there again this thursday to cut it, its been 3 weeks now...pita