What would you do....

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by jrblawncare, Jun 17, 2000.

1. jrblawncare

jrblawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all, I have been around lawnsite for some time but not here..Now that I'am full time in the biz I will be adding snow removal to my list of services this fall..I live in KY and will maybe get 5 pushes a year.I own a 94 dodge 2500 w/360...It has 90,000 miles on it but is in great shape..most miles are highway.I have been thinking of going to a diesal because of gas prices and just to have a newer work and biz.truck.I own the dodge..no payments!!If I add a plow to it it may cost what ... about 2500.00? Will I kill this high mile dodge?If I add the plow to this truck will it fit a newer modle in a year or two? Not sure what to do...Buy new plow ready with diesal or work with what I own and hope that it holds together...Blue book on my dodge is about 10,500.00 THANKS for your help.<p>----------<br>John <br>
  2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you can swing new payments and are going for commercial work and big$-then go get a newone.On the other hand if your truck is in good condition and you have kept it well maintained,and you are just starting out with residentials and dont want to bury yourself before you even have an account,you might want to use your current truck.I look for trucks like yours to buy for plow trucks,I swear the older ones(if kept well) are as reliable as new(so long as theyv'e never plowed before).I have a new truck and 2 older ones because no matter how hard you try,that new truck will take a beating when plowing,both mechanically and cosmetically.If its a good truck Id keep what you have,and a 3/4 Pu is the best compromise in plow trucks,and dodge trucks turn the tightest,a must for plowing.<p>----------<br>John D<br>
  3. BillNero

BillNero LawnSite Member
    from IL

Hi John,<p>I came across your question on buying a Snowplow for your 94 Dodge. The 94 to 2000 dodges use the same mounting kit so you have a wide range of years that the plow can transfer to.<p>Bill<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: administrator
  4. jrblawncare

John and Bill thanks for the fast Replies!!Anyone else have any thoughts...is my cost about right at $2500.00..Thank again
  5. BillNero

BillNero LawnSite Member
    from IL

Hi John,<p>As far as new plow prices are concerned, they tend to vary from region to region as well as manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, a Western 7.5' Pro Plow here in Illinois sells for $2600.00 and yet I've heard from guys in Ny-NJ area paying $2900.00.<p>Hope this helps.<p>Bill Nero
  6. jrblawncare

Bill sounds like I was close...My roots are in up-state NY,Rochster...I will be making a few trips that way before fall sets in..May shop up there or in Ohio..Not sure what I find here in KY, guess I should start looking around.<p>----------<br>John <br>
  7. snow

snow Guest

To start off, with a budget of $2500 you might want to consider looking at unassembled plows or used plows. You can get used plow blades cheap, along with old fisher frames(they mount outside the bumper).Or check with plow parts companie to get the newer assemblies. Monarch hydraulic 4-way power packs go for around $500(i think). If you want to have a brush guard on the truck, fisher made the plow mate which is a brush guard that hooks onto the frame. Look in your paper for used plows. Maybe with the extra money you'll have if you choose to go that way, you could get a sander.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br><br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.snowplow.web.com&quot;&gt;The Snowplow Homepage&lt;/a&gt;
  8. jrblawncare

Bryan thanks for the info.I'am not really on a budget of $2500.00 that was just a guess at the cost to get me going...I'am thinking of going new because I would like to transfer it to a new truck in a year or two.I have also thought of a sander because we do get alot mixed weather here.Which do you feel is better for my truck..Western or Fisher? THANKS<p>----------<br>John <br>
  9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Do a search of past post. There will be arguments for the following brands.<p>Fisher<br>Western<br>Diamond<br>Meyer<br>Curtice<br>Snow Way.<p>Read the post and think about what type of a plow ya want. Then go from there.<p>I would go with Diamond or Fisher if it was me.<p>Geoff
  10. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Heres what I would do.<br>Keep your truck, worst case senario you buy a new sub frame and wireing harness when you transfer to the new truck in a few years.<br>If you buy new plow get a v plow. No discussion just get one.Alot of banter could on and on all day about what plow is better, but the bottom line is get a v plow.Doesnt matter what brand just get one. If you only have one plow make it a v.<br>If not look for a good used plow. Bargains should be good right now, or ask your local dealer if he has any 99 left overs. I am sure he would like to get rid of a plow sitting in the shop.<br>So keep the truck and get a plow for it. Then take the money you would be paying on a new truck and save between now and winter and find an older truck in decent shape with a plow already on it. Keep it for a back up.<br>Why? Its not a matter of if, but when a truck will go down, and a back up is a wonderfull thing.Even new trucks break down.<br>Another reason is this, if you get the 50yr storm, throw a friend or employee in the truck and make your life easier or rake in some gravy money.<br>Lastly join SIMA. They will help you set up your plowing business and run it like one.<br>If you have any other ? feel free to e mail me.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org